Chapter 45

Not Edited

Omeed still held back. No matter how much her traitorous heart yearned for Hafez.  She made it her mission to sneak up on him whilst he played each night. It has become a routine of hers to watch him from the dark passage.

“You do know he misses you dearly. Don’t you your majesty?” A soft voice sounded behind Omeed making her jump in fright. She had been engrossed watching Hafez’s retreating back to hear someone sneak up on her.

“I don’t care.” Omeed replies sharply as she glares at Amir.

“You care your majesty. I know you do because I have seen you watch his majesty every night for the past week.” With a twinge of sadness Amir adds. “His majesty is suffering just as much as yourself your majesty.”

Amir has watched Omeed cry in the dark for the past week as she stares at Hafez when she thinks no one was watching. It breaks his heart watching the lovers grow further apart each day. Omeed stubbornness was to blame for their current predicament.

“I have no time to listen to your nonsense Amir. Have a good evening.”  She says as she makes a move to return to her pavilion.

“You will eventually lose him to another more willing consort.” Amir coldly announces. “I always thought you very smart and perceptive. But I suppose I was wrong all along.” Omeed’s body stiffens at Amir’s words.

“Do you know that consort Asal has been genuinely pursuing his majesty?” Omeed tensed even more. His words were like a sword piercing the walls around her heart. “So far his majesty has rejected her advances but who knows how long he’s capable of staying true to you.”

Omeed shut her eyes tightly with her back turned towards Amir who couldn’t see the torn young lady’s face as she wept bitterly.

“It’s been a fortnight and I think you have tortured yourself enough. I cannot begin to imagine what you’re going through but I can only advise you don’t lose what you hold dearly because of your pain and stubbornness to let go.”

Omeed whimpers at the thought of her baby. “Please forgive your servant who has spoken out of his jurisdiction.” Amir hearing her whimper says kneeling down. “I deserve death because I have cost you more pain your majesty.” He says apologetically.

Taking several deep breaths to calm her raging emotions, Omeed sighs loudly before walking off through the dark alleys of the palace. Omeed wasn’t mad at Amir, all he had spoken were true words and she understood his reasoning behind it.

Once in the confines of her bedchamber, Omeed sobs bitterly as her body wracks in soul crunching sobs. Tonight, the pains she had thought were slowly dissipating returned full force as she drops to her knees crying her eyes out.

Come morning, Zoya found Omeed curled on the floor asleep. She quickly rushes to her side to check her breathing. Convinced Omeed was ok and well, she tenderly proceeds in waking her up from her slumber.

“Your majesty, Please wake up.” Zoya says with a gentle hand on Omeed’s shoulder. “Wake up your majesty.” She says calmly once again. Zoya didn’t want the other maids to witness Omeed’s present state. Omeed was far too proud to be seen as anything but a strong woman.

Omeed yawns loudly as her eyes flutters open. “Zoya.” She calls out with a groan. Her body was stiff with pains from lying on the hard floor. “Zoya.” She calls out again not realizing Zoya was sat on her heels next to her.

“I am right here your majesty.” Zoya’s hands went around Omeed’s arms as she tries lifting her off the floor. “I will have someone fetch lady Feriha. You don’t look too good.” Zoya says leading Omeed to her mattress.