Chapter 3

Not edited

The nightmare tonight had been the scariest of the lot. Omeed woke up screaming really loudly waking the Nazir and his wife. They got out of bed rushing to her room, just as Zoya was about to walk into Omeed's room.

"We will handle it Zoya, go back to sleep." Omeed's mother instructed a very sleepy Zoya as they walked into Omeed's bedchamber.

She was sat on her mattress with eyes wide opened brimming with unshed tears. Her deer like eyes looking bigger than they usually are as she rocked herself backwards and forward with her arms wrapped around her.

Shahram looked at her sadly as his wife subtly join Omeed in bed. "It's alright child, everything is going to be alright." She said consoling her daughter who still wouldn't acknowledge their presence.

"Omeed my dear, talk to us please. Tell us about the dreams and it might make you feel better." Shahram tried coercing Omeed into talking. She had shut down with a forlorn look on her face.

Omeed had dreamt of her parents being decapitated, and the rest of the household auctioned off as slaves. She had seen it all happen before her eyes and had been to scared to say a word.

"I am scared Pedar, it was horrible. There was blood everywhere, all I could do was watch you die and I couldn't do anything to help you." She said trembling as the tears came forth, her mother took her into her arms and held onto her tightly.

Shahram and his wife wondered desperately what they could do to secure Omeed's life. He has spoken to his wife at length and she knew to expect the unexpected.

Nothing could have prepared Omeed's parents for the chain of events that were about to unravel their lives because across town days earlier, a group of men sat together as they planned what one could deem the perfect crime. A crime that'll shake the foundation of the kingdom, one that'll pave a new fortune for little Omeed.

She couldn't go back to sleep after her parents retired for their bedroom. She tossed and turn in bed but her only consolation was the hope of seeing her friend Hafez. She contemplated telling him of her true identity with the hope that he too was forthcoming with his. She didn't like lying especially to those she considers friends and family.

Omeed also hoped she'd see little Ramin, wishing he was safe and had a good night sleep on a full stomach. After her usual morning routine of getting washed, prayers and breakfast, the trio set out for the town.

"Omeed." She heard and turned around to see both her parents standing at the entrance of their home.

"Come here children." The Nazir said gesturing the trio over. When they got to him, he looked at each one of them in the eyes and said, "Take care of each other always no matter what happens. I buried some treasures on the land I bought three moons ago Omeed, it's for emergency." At that he hugged and kissed her forehead wishing her immense happiness.

Knowing the dire situation with her father, she dragged Zoya and Atash with her not wanting to be around any longer than necessary.

"What is going on my lady?" Atash enquired but Omeed kept quiet, she was deep in thoughts as they walked on. "My lady, you call us your friends, yet you keep something from us." He said sadly once he got her attention.

"Pedar's is in danger just like every other times. But this time around he thinks he'll die. Hence he has arranged with the king to have me married to the crown prince soon. But my dreams says otherwise."

"Last night I dreamt he was killed in the most degrading of ways and the servants were auctioned of to other kingdoms as slaves. And you Atash, you  know my dreams almost always come to pass." She said with grim look plastered on her face.