Chapter 57

Not Edited

Tripping over their feet, Hafez and Omeed made the mad dash towards their ailing son. Nothing could have prepared them for this ominous news when they had won the battle against Iraj.

Hafez wondered why he hadn't heard of a plague epidemic on their way to Isfahan whilst Omeed cursed and blamed herself for leaving him behind. She silently begged very deity to protect her child as tears welled up in her saddened orbs. "Allah please I beg of you not to take my son away from me." She mumbles.

"He will be alright Omeed. He has to be! Surely Allah won't take our son away from us." Hafez tries convincing Omeed but most especially himself. "He is without a sin or fault. He is far too young to leave us now." He gulps as they come to a stop.

Glaring at the physicians gathered, Omeed ask. "Where is my son?" She questions hysterically. Their slumped shoulders were doing nothing to pacify Omeed. "Where is my son?" She screeched louder this time around.

"Your majesty, we had to have him isolated because what he has is contagious." The head physician calmly replies.

"You are telling me my son is alone? How long has he been sick?" Omeed couldn't believe the treatment belted on her baby. He was after all only ten months old. "You left him unattended?" She was sure she had heard wrong.

"Physician Fiasal and court maiden Zoya have been taking care of him around the clock. We had him isolated only to prevent the plague from spreading." The man shook in fear as he answers Hafez's query. His eyes were bloodshot and everyone knew that meant bad news.

"Move out of my way!" Omeed commands as they try desperately to stop her from seeing prince Aaban. "I said move before you watch your meagre lives sucked out of you." She growls watching them look towards Hafez for intervention.

Hafez just sidesteps them as he walks inside with Omeed following him closely. A sob leaves her mouth when she takes in the pitiful state of her son. Tears she couldn't hold back escaped her eyelids. With shaky legs she approaches her baby boy.

Prince Aaban whimpers as he looks towards his mother for help. The child was covered in boils and blisters, even though he couldn't speak his eyes told his parents all they needed to know. And that he was hurting real bad and he wanted them to cuddle him. He needed the assurance from them that everything was going to be alright now they were there.

Not a word was spoken as Omeed drops to her knees and envelops her baby in her bosoms. "It's alright, mother is here now. Everything is going to be alright." She coos over him as Feriha walks closer. "Mother is going to take the pain away child." Omeed cries.

"Let's check him over." Feriha whispers sadly as she makes a move to undress prince Aaban.

"I told the head physician it wasn't the plague but he won't listen to me." Faisal says in desperation. "I have witnessed the plague when I worked at the medical centre. This is something I have never seen before now." He relates to them.

"This is definitely not the plague." Feriha says examining prince Aaban. "Although it does look deadly and contagious." She says taking his pulse. "He hasn't been poisoned either." She concludes with a sigh of relief. "But how did he contract this?" She says exasperatedly.

"So it's definitely not the plague?" Hafez asked. Speaking for the first time. He has been too taken aback by his son's appearance to utter a word before now. "Feriha and Faisal, I am putting both of you in charge. Do whatever needs to be done. Just make sure Aaban is alright!" He orders stroking Aaban's hair.

"He is too weak." Omeed suddenly cries out. she could see Aaban falling in and out of consciousness. "Has he been fed?" She ask Zoya desperately.

"We have tried but his throat seems inflamed. He can't swallow or chew." Zoya responds.