Chapter 1

NOT EDITED

The sun was setting from the west, the servants in the household dashed around putting last minute touches to the banquet preparations. Senior court officials were expected to attend the banquet that has been hailed as a place to be seen and heard.

Little Omeed was sprawled across her bed reading a book, as her legs dangled over the edge of her lace covered beddings. Her big brown eyes wandered the pages of her book. Most called her a deer (گوزن ) because of the size of her curious enormous brown eyes that stood out on her oval shaped face.

At a time when women with round faces and coloured eyes were seen as the quintessential beauties, Omeed had it different. The thirteen year old was dark skinned, and had wavy waist length hair. Something that was frowned upon at the time.

"My lady, your Pedar (Father) has returned from court and has requested your presence." Her handmaiden Zoya called out as she hurriedly tried to make Omeed a little more presentable before she met with her father.

She looked unkempt with her hair in knots and soil on her cheeks. Omeed had been outside in the gardens earlier that day tending to the plants with the servants.

"Zoya, I've told you umpteen times to stop referring to me as 'Lady' when we're alone." Omeed grumbled as she roughly dumped her book on her bedside table. She has always hated being treated superiorly by the servants most especially Zoya who she has grown up with.

To Omeed, Zoya was more than just her handmaiden, Zoya was a sister and her only female friend. She was a companion.

"I can't keep doing that Omeed, if I don't stick to addressing you in the right manner, I would end up making a mistake in front of the master and mistress. And you my dear Lady knows what would happen if I do." Zoya said as she led Omeed to a stool and sat her down in front of a mirror.

Omeed knew she was right and decided not to pursue the issue any further than necessary. "What does Pedar want anyway? He usually waits until after we have had supper before he requires my audience."

Omeed frowns as she stared at her sullen face she couldn't help but shake the feeling that something was wrong and she could only hope the nightmare she had the previous night wasn't coming to pass. It had been a rough night for Omeed and she had woke up screaming.

Her father was the Nazir, he was the closest advisor to the Shah and as such he worked in association with the prime minister and acted as the eyes and ears within the court for the royal household. An odious job his wife detested due to the risk of irking power hungry feathers. They were forever at the mercy of Allah.

"Good evening Pedar." Omeed greeted her father who took her in his arm and kissed her forehead. She pulled back and took in his appearance, not missing all the worry lines.

Shahram looked older than his forty five years of age. And there was the already tell sign of greying something that's been brought upon by years of working tirelessly and hard as not only a royal servant but a public servant.

"Sit down daughter, there's something I need to discuss with you." Omeed looked on expectantly as she waited for her father to continue with what he needed to say to her.

"Something happened in court today, and this time around I don't think Allah would be sparing us. I don't think I have much time left in this world. Jannah beseechs me my dear." Omeed whimpered as she listened her young mind wandered as she thought of what could have possibly gone wrong.

"To protect you, your name has been included as one of the candidates with qualification as a prospective bride for the crown prince." She frowned wanting to refuse her father's idea. But he gave her no room for refusal.