Chapter 43

Not Edited

She wondered where she was being taken as he held onto her hands refusing to let go. Hafez had no qualms in being affectionate towards Omeed even though over a hundred pairs of eyes were on them the whole time.

“Where are you taking me?” She asked softly pulling him to a stop without much effort.

Hafez rolled his eyes with a grunt. “My pavilion, I want some alone time with you.” At Omeed hesitance Hafez annoyingly asked. “Can’t I spend time with my wife?”

“Of course you can, except you can’t at this moment.” She spoke with her hands across her chest. Omeed took in the unbelievable glare Hafez threw her way before quickly adding. “I have my afternoon allotted to your concubines.”

Her eyes held mischief and that didn’t go unnoticed to neither Amir nor Hafez. “Someone has to put them in check. Who better, than your collected innocent wife?”  Omeed fluttered her lashes teasingly to an unsuspecting Hafez.

“What am I going to do with you? You are a trouble maker aren’t you?” He whispers pulling her into a hug as he kisses her neck tenderly. “Just be careful, I don’t want you getting hurt.” He says against her lips before pulling back.

“I will see you later your majesty, do send someone to inform me once you are done with court sessions.” She says loudly as he groans in annoyance storming off.

“Amir you will keep an eye on this meeting!” Orders an irritated Hafez, he was referring to Omeed’s meeting with his concubines. “Just listen from afar.”

“I was going to volunteer if you hadn’t asked me to.” Amir says happily as he smirks.

“Your delight in this is offending and off-putting.” Hafez complains as a guttural sound comes from the back of his throat.

“I am sorry your majesty.” Amir apologizes immediately getting on his knees.

“Just do as you’re told!” He orders Amir who remains kneeling. 

“Zoya, have a maid prepare my pavilion. I want the tea pots ready and some biscuits.” Omeed says returning to the dowager queen’s pavilion where she joins the concubines who were still seething after the display of affection between Omeed and Hafez.

“Your majesty, are we still invited for tea at your pavilion?” Asal asked hesitantly. For the first time in the four years since she became an imperial consort she felt an overwhelming feeling of uncertainty.

Asal had always been a girl who was sure about herself. But at that moment, Omeed seemed to have unknowingly stripped her of it all. Up until this morning she was leaning towards having Omeed as a friend but now she saw her as a foe she must win.

“Yes concubine Asal I expect everyone there.” Her body language seems calculated. Omeed noted calmly as she bids farewell to the dowager queen.

“My la--  I mean your majesty, have you learnt anything from their characters so far?” Zoya asked Omeed as they walk closely together towards her pavilion. She knew Omeed too well.

“Yes I have so far, but should know more the more time I spend with them.” Omeed’s mind veered back to Asal, Afsoon and Farrah. “They share similar evil aura.” She mutters offhandedly to herself but Zoya heard her loud and clear.

With a sigh Omeed shook her head aggressively before adding a quick, “Let’s go.” Zoya knew not to question Omeed as she would tell her everything if she deemed it necessary.

Once seated, Omeed patiently awaited the arrival of Hafez’s fourteen imperial concubines. Afsoon had been the last one to arrive. She took her seat without Omeed due acknowledgment. Her behavior left everyone but Omeed aghast.