Chapter 23

Not Edited

The chase was on. Amir rode like he had never ridden before as he chased after Atash. He could feel his stomach lurched as his horse went even faster, but slowed down considerably as he came to a four way intersection. Amir didn't know which road to take with the dust long settled.

Amir had to admit defeat and return to Hafez. If he doesn't give up now the horse would have to be put down. Amir could already hear the horse whining in pain so he got off deciding to walk the long way back.

With Amir gone, Hafez went about investigating. He saw the dried up blood stain around the tomb. Hafez also noticed the sign post that had been discarded and now amongst the pile of rubble waiting to be dispose of.

Hafez fumed, he wanted whoever had dumped his notice brought to justice immediately. Amir returned several minutes later. One fleeting glance was all it took for Hafez to know he had been unsuccessful in his task.

"I take it you couldn't catch up with him." Hafez said as he took in the agonising look on Amir's face. Though it sounded like a question it was more of a statement. Amir could only keep his head bowed down.

"Don't worry about it Amir, I didn't expect you to catch up. That horse was a fine steed." Hafez took one last look around before he spoke to Amir in a whisper. "I want this place refurbished, clean up the rubbish and this needs to be carried out secretly." Hafez warned a shocked Amir.

It was already out of the ordinary to have Hafez care for the late Nazir's family. Right now this was a step too far. Hafez had no obligation towards them but he felt the need to make Omeed happy even if this would cause an uproar in court.

"Your majesty, this might undermine your stand in court if found out." Though he was merely a eunuch and bodyguard, it was also his duty to advice the king wherever his say was needed.

"I know Amir, perhaps if she sees my effort into looking for her she might come out of hiding don't you think so?" Hafez asked rhetorically. He understood the implication of what he was about to do but his love and affection towards Omeed has sidetracked his reasoning.

Hafez was a calculating type that thought things through before he did them. Nothing slipped through his fingers, he was sharp with immaculate foresight.

His cunning ways have helped him remained true to his love for Omeed even though he had thirteen concubines at his beck and call for two years now. He still remains a virgin at the ripe age of eighteen.

"I just have to be extra vigilant and make sure nothing leads back to you." Amir said with assurance. Most people already knew Amir as Hafez's most trusted confidante and also knew he carried out Hafez's dirty work.

"I will finance it from my private coffer. You just let me know what's needed whenever it's needed." Hafez ordered Amir who nodded in agreement. "Where is your horse?" Hafez asked suddenly not seeing Amir's favourite horse in sight.

"The chase took a lot out of him, I left him down the road to recuperate." Amir replied as Hafez and the other guards got on their horses with Amir joining a guard on his. "Your majesty, will you be returning to the palace or continue with the inspections?" Amir asked.

"We will continue tomorrow since it's now dark." Sighed a frustrated Hafez. " For now we return to the palace. Your horse needs to see a specialist." Hafez announced offhandedly as he looked towards the pitch black sky that now blankets the earth.

That night, Hafez couldn't sleep a wink as he tossed and turned in his bed. He hoped Omeed was still alive. Hafez couldn't help but wonder why Atash had been there and not her. He was certain Omeed's uncle had stated she disappeared with the servant girl and boy.