Chapter 54

Not Edited

Afsoon remained kneeling with tears streaming down her face as the banquet went on. Everyone ignored her presence or at least tried to pretend she wasn't there. She acted meekly, a far cry from the proud young woman she really was. Whether or not she was being genuine didn't matter to Omeed as she continues to fawn over her bundles of joy.

A thought suddenly clicked in Omeed's head as the banquet came to a close. "Your majesty, with everyone here as witnesses, why not grant lady Afsoon a Talaq(Divorce)?" Omeed ask pointedly as an eerie silence descends on the banquet hall. No one moved or said a word.

'My little charmer is at it again'. Snorts Hafez as he thought to himself with pride.

Hafez knew with a divorce the chances of Afsoon warming her way back into the palace was an impossibility non would think of. The ministers whom he was certain were already scheming how to bend him into having her back in his harem could only look on amazed.

"Lady Afsoon is a beautiful young woman, although stupid and thoughtless at times." Omeed rolled her eyes then continued talking. "She should be allowed to move on with what's left of her meagre life." Omeed spared a glance towards Farzan who just discreetly nods his head in appreciation.

Farzan hated how his father had systematically ruined his sister's life since she was a child. He had spoilt her rotten and made her yearn for things that were beyond her reach. At least with a divorce he was almost certain his little sister has a shot at her own happiness. One void of politics and greed.

With the word Talaq(divorce) said three times right before everyone's eyes, Hafez divorced Afsoon according to Islamic law and custom. "Pack whatever you came into the harem with lady Afsoon and leave." Hafez finishes as he storms off knowing if he remained a while longer he might reconsider.

Omeed's coldness dissipates, leaving behind a tinge of sadness as she glances at Afsoon for the last time before retreating for her pavilion. "Do you reckon I was too harsh on lady Afsoon back there?" Omeed mutters to Feriha and Zoya. "I know one ought to be cruel to be kind sometimes."

"You did what needed to be done. It might have seem like a disguised vendetta but we know it wasn't." Feriha consoles Omeed. "Even Farzan looked eternally grateful." She concludes.

"I am more than certain lady Afsoon did not poison the cat." Zoya suddenly interjects.

"I cleared that up a long time ago." Omeed points. "I always knew it was neither her nor consort Farrah." With Hafez suddenly in her thoughts, Omeed adds. "I need to talk to Hafez to make sure he's alright. You may all return to my pavilion while I check on him."

Hafez paced in his chamber. He went from on end to the other as Amir watched from the sideline. They had quickly dismissed the other servants and eunuchs upon their arrival from the banquet. Even now, Hafez didn't entirely trust them. He knew there were spies in their midst as being bought wasn't a difficult task.

His body remained taunt with worries. Hafez was worried about Omeed's safety. He feared the ministers were going to go after her now they felt cornered and threatened. "You will wear the floor out if you don't stop pacing my dear husband." Omeed's voice rang out.

She had been watching him for a while as his face contorts with various emotions. Hafez's emotional turmoil was vivid to Omeed's eyes. "I don't know why you have to do this each time. I should protect you Omeed, not the other way around." He says with a dejected sigh.

"You have and will continue protecting me and our children Hafez." She responds sincerely.

Frustrated, Hafez rants. "They are going to be desperate now Omeed. They will come back at you fighting harder. I know the Imam had stated you were my shield, but please I don't want to see you come to harm." Hafez declared candidly. "Allow me bear the burden sometimes."