Chapter 21

Not Edited

Long after the Imam disappeared, Omeed and Feriha stood still as Feriha's mind twirled with several possibilities at what had occurred minutes earlier. Omeed main while couldn't get past the thought of a true family.

Feriha was first out of her stupor like state, she watched Omeed a little longer before touching her arms. With Omeed's attention now on her, Feriha asked the question that came to mind.

"Omeed, did I just imagine all that?" She shook her head rapidly from side to side hoping she wasn't going crazy and that she had barely been under so much duress. Which led her wondering mind into making all that up.

"That was all real Feriha, you didn't imagine all that." Omeed said sounding defeated as her mind once again wandered to the Imam's last statement. What does he mean by true family? Omeed asked herself thoughtfully.

"Hmm?" Stated a still confused Feriha. "So I didn't conceptualise all of that?" Feriha asked sounding hysterical. "My head had been touched for real?" She quickly felt the top of her head as if to check it was still there. "And what did he mean by your 'true family' Omeed?"

"I have no idea my dear friend. I wish he hadn't gone around taking in riddles and just tell me precisely what he meant." Omeed said sounding bitter as she kicked a little stone with so much anger it went flying. Luckily it had hit no one.

"It sounded like you were old acquaintances though." Muttered Feriha. "Is he a wandering spirit Omeed?" Feriha asked as a shiver went down her spine at the thought of being in such close proximity as a ghost.

"Not sure what the answer to your question is but I met him years ago when he saved my life. I do know he means no harm." Omeed replied calmly. "I just wish I understood what family he was referring to." Omeed spoke with so much frustration trickling through her voice.

"Let's just return to Agra for now. We will talk some more on our way." Feriha said with an understated promise. She felt sorry for Omeed who looked beyond confused at that moment.

On their way back to Agra, the ladies talked about a possible scenario of what the Imam could have meant. But nothing could have prepared the ladies for what he truly meant during his prophesies. Because days later Feriha was invited to the Mughal palace to perform during the birthday celebration of one of the concubines.

"Feriha, I don't understand why you want me to attend this celebration with you dressed as Omeed." She complained as she sat in front of a mirror looking at her brightly rouged cheeks.

"I feel the need for your support and NOT as my friend Ahmed. I want my friend and student Omeed." Feriha pouted as she tried convincing Omeed who was now so close to ripping her beautiful outfit off and putting a robe on in it's place. 

"You do know I won't be performing right? I can't do that as Omeed but I could accompany you with my flute as Ahmed." Feriha understood why Omeed wouldn't perform. Omeed's beauty over the years has seemingly become a curse. As a result she couldn't venture out without a veil covering her face.

Tonight as a guest, she would be sat with other women a little distance away from men who could resist her. "I understand Omeed, but you are not putting on a veil tonight young lady." Feriha ordered a distraught looking Omeed who opened her big brown eyes as she watched Feriha.

"You will be sat with ladies of nobility and royalty, you don't have to shield yourself away from prying eyes. Just this once could you please embrace you beauty, charm and intelligence?" Asked a bored looking Feriha. Omeed could only nod her head as she composed herself.