Chapter 50

Not Edited

He had left his royal seal at her disposal before he left Isfahan. Knowing what he now knew about Omeed, Hafez was certain she could govern the nation in his absence. After all she had the scholars, a few trusted ministers and her uncle the Nazir at her 'beck and call'.

Although this was a long overdue trip, Hafez had been expected to take Omeed or a favoured consort along. But he choose to do it alone with his trusted guards, Amir and a couple of ministers.

It was a routine incognito inspection where he is expected to travel around Persia to see how the common citizens lived and to also rectify wherever he thought his administration wasn't doing justice.

Even though he had left her on a sour note, that didn't deprive him from giving her a goodbye kiss early that morning as he left her bedchamber. Through the night he had watched her whimper and sniffle in her sleep after sneaking into her bedchamber.

Saddened to have made her cry. Only during the early hours of the morning did she finally fall into deeper sleep. "Farewell my love, I hope to see you soon. When I return things will once again be different." Hafez had said leaving feather like kisses on her cheeks.

"I will never stop loving you. So please remain healthy for me." He said as a parting word while he exit her chamber warning the maids against speaking a word of his visit.

The Nazir visited Omeed's pavilion shortly after she had her meal that morning. Hafez's impromptus decision had taken him aback, but he was almost certain it was for the good of Persia.

"Uncle, to what do I owe this unexpected visit?" Omeed enquired as she joins him in the waiting area of her pavilion. She was sure Hafez had strict laws forbidding the interaction between ministers and consorts.

"Forgive me your majesty, but before his majesty left early this morning, he passed me his royal seal wanting you to take charge of the government while he's away." The Nazir says handing the imperial seal to an astound Omeed.

"But--but I don't usually involve myself with politics." She says with confusion etched on her face.

"Well your majesty, his majesty trusts you enough to make decisions that will benefit Persia. Myself and the scholars are there to guide you should you require our guidance." He continues to say ignoring the conflicting look of indecision fleeting through Omeed's eyes.

"Your majesty, you will be expected to attend court hearings and implement simple laws that'll benefit the common citizens." Her uncle drawls out. He stops speaking to see the panic stricken Omeed shut her eyes tightly. "What troubles you my dear?"

"Uncle, I don't think I can do this. It's too much of a burden to lay on my already full hands." Omeed grumbles as she paces the hall. "Hafez-- I mean his majesty must be out of his mind to leave the governing of Persia in my hands." She groans rubbing her face furiously.

"What are you afraid of?" He gently ask Omeed. "My niece, my sister's daughter whom I watch grow was never one to be afraid of anything. She was someone who faced her problems head-on and she wasn't one to shy away from responsibilities and task."

"That's just it uncle, I am not that little girl anymore. I feel suffocated already as it is." Omeed pants trying to control her anger. "Do you think I will be taken seriously? What if I make mistakes?"

"Everyone is bound to make mistakes since it's human nature to do so. You will be taken seriously because right now, you are the most senior head of the royal family in the absence of his majesty." Omeed knew he was right but at that moment she felt overwhelmed by everything that had happen in the last twenty four hours.