Chapter 41

Not Edited

The night before Omeed’s nikah finally arrived, was a cool winter’s night. The festivities in and around her estate was one filled with joy and happiness. Music played in the courtyard as friends and relatives made merriments.

Her servants and staffs had joined in the celebrations with Zoya and Atash spearheading it all. Whilst Zoya had seen to the requirements for the ladies, Atash had done the same for the men.

The voices and noise from her estate could be heard miles away. Even a few ministers and scholars that had revered her father when he was alive were in attendance. Surplus food and drinks were laid out on tables avoiding cups running dry.

Only the finest mutton and drinks Isfahan had to offer were being served. Mouths watered as the fat from the roasting venison drizzled into the flames. Hunters had been sent out the day before to bring back as many as they could.

Omeed gave the responsibility of roasting the games to Atash who seemed all too happy to once again earn Omeed’s trust.

Whilst the men are gathered in the courtyard, fellow noble women surrounded Omeed indoors as she’s entertained. Omeed was dressed in her finery and covered in gold from her head to the sole of her feet. She literally glittered under the moon light.

It was unanimously agreed by everyone in attendance that there had never been a finer bride in the history of Persia. Whilst some were there to join in the festivities, others were there to create alliances and pledge allegiance to Omeed.

Omeed though, saw right through their fakery but kept a sickly sweet smile on her face the whole time welcoming their overt praise. Most had attended bearing extravagant gifts citing her nineteenth birthday was the next day.

Princess Zubaida was there as well to lend Omeed whatever support she needed. She told a few embarrassing stories of Hafez growing up as a child. Some of the stories, Omeed already knew since Hafez had been kind enough to share them with her.

A tussle in the door way alerted Omeed, She could hear arguments. “Zoya check what’s going on!” She instructs Zoya who was sat closely behind her.

Zoya was gone a while so when she returned, Omeed immediately asked her what the problem was. “My lady, there are some beggars here wanting to wish you a happy married life.” Omeed smiled hearing this.

“They are children.” Zoya adds immediately hoping to deter Omeed from what she knew would be her next move.

“Hence more reasons why I have to meet with them.” Says an excited Omeed who makes a move to excuse herself from the gathering briefly. “Where are they?” She ask an astound Zoya. “Come on, lead the way.”

“Out in the courtyard, but some nobles have asked for them to be ejected and sent on their way.” Zoya frowned watching Omeed’s nostrils flare. “My lady, there are guests around.” She reminds her leading the way to the courtyard.

“I know Zoya.” She replies nonchalantly as they walked into the crowded courtyard. The crowd noticed Omeed almost immediately. They quickly calmed down as she makes her way towards the young beggars.

“My lady, we are here to wish you a joyous and fruitful marriage life.” A boy who seemed to be the leader of the group says to Omeed as she stops in front of them.

With a genuine smile Omeed said. “Thank you for the wishes my little friends.” She was grateful they had thought of her. “Zoya, have someone set a table for them with some food.” Omeed spoke without looking at a shocked Zoya who gasped.