Chapter 14

Not Edited

With Atash and ten staff member short, Omeed at first struggled with the running of what was left of her businesses but quickly got a hand of it. Feriha hadn't visited much lately so all Omeed had for company was Zoya.

As she got dressed in male garments that morning, Zoya knocked on her door informing her she had some guests waiting for her in her study.

"Have I met them before Zoya?" Omeed asked as she wondered who her guest were.

"I don't think so my lady, though they said they were traveling merchants from Persia."

"Persia? And you led them inside Zoya? What could have possessed you to do that?" Omeed shook with anger at Zoya's stupidity. She couldn't understand why she had thrown caution to the wind.

In the three years they've been on the run, Omeed had made cautious effort not to interact with Persians especially those from Isfahan.

"I am sorry my lady, they introduced themselves as merchants wanting to do business with master Ahmed. So I invited them inside and led them to the study. While serving tea I found out they were Persians from their private discussion. I didn't know my lady, I swear I didn't."

Omeed could only let out a frustrated sigh. It wasn't entirely Zoya's fault, perhaps she could have been a little more cautious but now it was too late to ponder whose fault it was. She rested her palm on Zoya's face in a comforting manner as tear stream her eyes.

"Zoya, I'm sorry. I over reacted when it was no fault of yours. Now stop crying and help me fix my turban." Zoya nodded as she sniffled. She had let Omeed down by being impetuous and this could have a detrimental outcome for them.

Once Zoya was done fixing Omeed's turban, she dashed into her bedroom to retrieve her dagger. She had learnt a bit of martial art during Omeed's lessons. Zoya wasn't as good as Omeed or even Atash but she was good enough to fight and defend herself in any situation.

As Zoya grabbed her dagger, she held it up and murmured to herself. "If we are going to be killed we will die fighting. Their blood must smear my blade."

As Omeed walked towards her study, she had her dagger in place underneath her robe but held her sword non too discreetly. She would chop into pieces if threatened in any way. Omeed has taken lives in her business travel through the desert when approached by thieves.

She was known for her brutality when she fought or killed. Her reputation went far and beyond to the point where robbers steered clear of her merchants once they saw her brand logo on their flags and wagons.

Arriving in her study, she quickly took in the five men not failing to notice one dressed in rich garment. He was obviously their leader. Omeed thought to herself as her eyes wandered before greeting them. "So how may I help you gentlemen?" She spoke in Farsi.

"We are here to see Ahmed not a young boy who has barely hit puberty." Someone said annoying Omeed who was only trying to accommodate their presence.

Not bothering to look at the face of the person who spoke, with a wave of her hand she said, "Go on then." Waiting for their response as she tapped on her sword nonchalantly.

"Like my master said, we would like to speak to Ahmed the head merchant." Omeed gave a deep sigh, she was bored and was fast loosing patience with these idiots. As she opened her mouth to kick them out of her home, a servant dashed in with a missive from Feriha.

"Master Ahmed, an urgent missive from lady Feriha inviting you over tonight." Omeed took it with an unreadable expression. She wanted these men gone and hadn't bothered looking at their faces in case they knew who she was and recognised her.