Chapter 40

Not Edited

Hafez stared flabbergasted as he watched Omeed and her group walk the opposite direction to him. Her frown hadn’t gone unnoticed and he knew he was at fault because her scowl in his direction had indicated precisely that.

Amir gaped at Hafez wondering what he had done to warrant such cold shoulder from Omeed. “Your majesty, her ladyship didn’t seem pleased to see you.” He shudders thinking of the blaze Omeed’s eyes omitted.

“I know Amir, but what have I done to justify such wrath?” Hafez was worried witnessing a different side to Omeed he had never encountered. “Let’s follow them!” Hafez ordered Amir and his guards.

His group trailed Omeed’s through the busy alleyway as they made their way to the market stables where they had left their horses.  Once on his horse, he rode very fast hoping to catch up with Omeed before she got to her estate.

Spotting her in the distance, he pushed faster until he was ahead of her when she came to an abrupt stop. “Omeed, it is imperative that I speak with you right this moment.” Hafez puffed out a breath he didn’t know he held.

His breathing came out in pants as he watches Omeed glare at him before waving her group off. “Why did you do it Hafez?” At his baffled stare, Omeed immediately added.

“Why did you come to me when we’ve been ordered not to meet?”

Hafez chuckled, surprised her rage was because she thought he had disobeyed what the ministry of rites and astronomy had suggested.

“Omeed my dear, when I got your missive stating you were coming into town, I decided to watch you from afar.”

Omeed gulped realizing her anger towards him had not been entirely justified. “I was only going to catch a glimpse of you then return to stately duties, but your attitude has made me chase you.” He sighs moving closer to her.

“So, it is my fault then?” Omeed asks exasperatedly gesturing with both her hands. “You should have stayed away!” She almost screamed at him but held her rage with what little restraint she had left.

Hafez bellowed laughter resounded down the quiet road, never in his twenty years had he been talked down on, not even by his father the late king.

Omeed’s feature was almost comical and he would have continued laughing if she hadn’t punched him in his gut.

“I will do more than that if you don’t stop making a fool of me.” She said teasingly as Hafez smirks.

“My love, not only have you screamed at me, you have punched me.” Hafez couldn’t believe all the first he has experienced in such a short space of time. “No one has ever hit or screamed at me before.”

Bringing her hand to his lips, he kisses her knuckles softly. “Don’t make an habit of it.” There was the undertone warning that made her shiver.

Omeed shut her eyes, enjoying the feel of his lips. “I missed you Hafez.” She whimpers as he groans. He hated having to let her go but knew he had to since a meeting with foreign delegates had been scheduled for that evening.

“I have to return to the palace Omeed.” He says begrudgingly.  Hafez was reluctant to let her go. “I will ensure I adhere to these man made orders this time around.” He still didn’t see the point in them staying away from one another.

Snapping her eyes opened, Omeed apologized for hitting him knowing she had wanted to see him just as much as he did. “I am sorry to have upset you.”

She muttered under her breath looking past Hafez’s shoulders to what she thought were people.

Omeed wondered if they were being watched and followed but thought against it. No one will be stupid enough to trail Hafez. Omeed thought gratefully but unfortunately, she had been wrong.