Chapter 12

Not Edited

As the ministers awaited the arrival of Hafez for the day's court session to begin, Hafez mentally went through all he had gathered from Amir and Farrah days earlier. His thoughts processed ways to combat these dilemmas with a fruitful outcome.

Hafez had been critical of his leadership skills and reproachful of the ministers in charge as he struggled to have a pleasant sleep the night before. He had tossed and turned for a long with Amir having to intervene with a herbal sleep incense.

"His majesty the king has arrived." A eunuch announced to the court as they curtseyed at Hafez's entry. One glance at Hafez's stiffened shoulders and penetrating gaze forewarn the ministers he was in one of his numerous foul moods.

His murderous mood swings were widely spoken about, and his wrath was something everyone dreaded. Except today he wasn't ready to belt out the maximum punishment. He was rather feeling lenient.

"You may all rise!" Hafez announced. He listened attentively as the court session progressed sifting through matters that called for immediate concern and passing judgements. He smirked watching the ministers squirm. They felt it coming before he even spoke.

When he was certain he had gone through every complaints and petition, he proceeded to ask the questions that had given him a rough night, by the end of the audience, Hafez had dismissed the welfare minister including a few low ranked ministers and suspended the prime minister for not properly enforcing his duties.

As expected prime minister Ali had swiftly passed the blame unto everyone but himself. He was certain his spies in and around the palace were vigilant and had disregarded every complaint mentioning the famine. He hopelessly wondered the culprit who leaked the information to Hafez.

Wondering how Hafez had suddenly become so healthy since Hafez was usually sickly. For the first time in years he noticed Hafez's skin was abnormally tanned, not sickly pale like it usually was.

All he could now wish for, was for his daughter to bear the heir to the throne and then he would finally do away with Hafez for good just like he had done with the late king.

Hafez temporarily had Omeed's uncle take over the responsibilities of a prime minister since he was one of the very few who wasn't influenced by greed and he abhorred palpable hatred towards the prime minister for ordering the late Nazir's death.

As he retreated to his bedchamber, Amir couldn't help but wonder why Hafez had been so lenient with his punishment. He had seen him give stricter punishment for less. Not being able to hold back his curiosity any further, Amir asked Hafez the question that plagued his mind.

"Your majesty, I am sorry for questioning your judgement, but could you please tell me why you let them off so lightly?"

With a grimace like grin on his face, Hafez said, "Because Amir, the time isn't right and I require a few more years for what I have planned." He proceeded walking once again. He had stopped abruptly at Amir's question earlier.

"And Amir, henceforth you and a few guards will be accompanying me onto the streets of Isfahan on secret inspections." He spoke offhandedly as Amir gasped. He knew Amir wouldn't like these outings for security reasons.

"Your majesty, this is too dangerous. Please reconsider." Amir said in a rush as their pace quickened through the hall ways. He had dispatched the eunuchs that accompanied them.

"Amir, this isn't something I just decided on. Ever since my first outing all those years ago, I had thought it a good opportunity to witness how my people live firsthand." Amir knew Hafez was right but that didn't deter him panicking.

"How many trusted guards would you like?" He asked immediately knowing Hafez's mind was already made up.

"Five or six of your most trusted men. We will walk the streets dressed up as merchants."

Amir has been in charge of secretly training five hundred assassins and guards at Hafez's order. This has been ongoing since Hafez's tenth birthday. The resources to have this carried out had been a birthday present from the late king at Shahram's behest.Their loyalty towards Hafez was impenetrable. With that said, Amir scurried off to make preparations.

It was a warm dusty afternoon, the ladies of the harem were sat in the courtyard chatting away, their discussion ranged from the most recent fashion to the latest gossip around the palace. Their only source of comfort was a bit of wind coming from the Arabian desert.

The topic of discussion within the walls of the harem has been Asal's tryst with Hafez and Farrah being scorned. Non knew the reason for this sudden shift of favour. Even Farrah had no clue what she had done wrong, all she could do was muse on.

Farrah quietly wondered if her beauty wasn't worthy enough perhaps that had been why Hafez had avoided consummating their relationship. As she pondered over what she could have done better to seduce him. Now if only she had a chance with him once again.

Afsoon gloat in Farrah's misfortune taking extra pride in Farrah being unable to decipher what she had done to warrant such shunning from Hafez. This all started the morning after Asal had spent the night in Hafez's bedchamber. Everyone had woken up to find Farrah asleep at her doorstep all decked up waiting to be escorted to Hafez.

Her state had arouse snickers from a few jealous ladies who couldn't assimilate what Hafez saw in the skinny girl to begin with. Afsoon being the loudest was certain she would soon have her time with Hafez and when she did, he would make her his queen.

For Afsoon there was no point in being one of the king's women if she couldn't get to the top and that meant being the queen of Persia. A position she was born for and no one was going to deprive her of it. Not even the so called crown princess Omeed.

Right now, all she had to do was watch, weigh her competitions and strategize. Afsoon was certain her father wouldn't stop working at the forefront until they achieve their desired intent.

With a resigned shrug, all she could do was wait to have the opportunity to showcase her talents in front of Hafez whom she has investigated and learnt enjoyed music and art in the short while she's been in the harem.

Afsoon's dancing skill was the best in the whole of Isfahan. Something that was decided amongst the nobles and elites when she had performed for the princess and her guests at the princess' private residence months earlier.

The princess has a very close relationship with Hafez her younger brother, though they only shared the same father. She had been married off to a distant relative of the prime minster when she was fifteen years old. It was an alliance marred with conflicts over the years.

Afsoon thought bitterly, if she could use the princess' influence on Hafez. It was about time she won Hafez's heart and showed the other ladies what she was about. She pondered silently at ways to invite the princess over under the guise of a girly chat without seeming contrived.

For the first time in the weeks Afsoon has been in the harem, she needed her father or her brother Farzan. She suddenly questioned her father's decision to send Farzan away for a while. Given he was a trouble magnet but he had his use whenever she was in dire need.

Summoning her two most trusted maids she had come into the palace with, Afsoon had her other servant despatched as she spoke to the young girls. "Listen, I need to send a message to princess Zubaida inviting her over to the palace."

"My lady, it is but a dangerous task. Should you be meeting with her?" One queried.

"I know, but I need her help. So look for ways to have her over."  She ordered her maids.

"Yes my lady." They both chorused together before she sent them on their way. All they could do was grumble underneath their breath but she clearly heard them.

Author's note: This is more of a filler chapter. I have had to write and delete it four times already. Next chapter will be focused more on Omeed and Atash.