Chapter 55

Not Edited

As Hafez walks towards Omeed's bedchamber, him mind drifts to earlier that evening when he had gotten a missive informing him of Iraj rebellion leading up to the assassination attempt on his children. He didn't need to be foresighted to know it was all his half brother's doing.

For years, Hafez has avoided any altercation with Prince Iraj. Not because he was scared of him but because of their father the late king. Hafez knew he would have been disappointed if he were alive today. Also he didn't want his reign marred by him killing his brother for wanting to usurp his throne.

But this time Iraj has gone too far. He has threatened his children and wife. That was unforgivable and a guaranteed death. Not even the ghost of the late king will talk him out of having his brother's head hanging on the city gate.

Hafez's rapid footstep comes to an halt as he takes in the sombre demure of the guards around Omeed's hall. They appeared to be in a solemn mood. With worries and deep frown lines etched on their faces. Sagged shoulders.

"How many guards did we lost?" He asked a uniformed guard before stepping into Omeed's chamber.

"Fifteen in total your majesty. They were all killed with poisonous needles." The guard informs Hafez who growls angrily. That would mean the assassins had killed all the guard stationed around the queen's pavilion.

"Have their funeral arranged immediately!" He orders the guard with a grunt. "Also, have their families compensated." He says calmly knowing he needed his wits about him before he approaches Omeed. "They are to get an honorary discharge. They died protecting the royal family."

"Yes your majesty." With that Hafez makes his way towards Omeed. She was in the bathhouse with Zoya and a few handmaidens.

"Leave us!" Hafez orders dismissing them as he walks towards Omeed. With Zoya and the maids gone, Hafez ask. "How are you feeling?" But Omeed says nothing. She was deep in her own thoughts thinking of ways to kill the assailants who have threatened the lives of her little ones.

"Omeed." Hafez calls out putting his hand on her bare shoulder blade. This causes Omeed to jerk as she's now broken out of her reverie she throws a glare his way. "We have to talk about somethings." He tells her seriously glaring back at her.

"Go on Hafez, I am listening." She 'bites back'. "Because I really want to know what is going on." The look in Omeed's eyes told Hafez he had to come clean about everything and not withhold any information from his wife. She was desperate and a desperate Omeed is usually bad news.

"It's Iraj. I am certain it's him because I got a missive informing me of his dubious dealings. He has started a rebellion and will slowly move towards the capital if he isn't stopped at once." Hafez pulled on his hair as he speaks. "I believe the unsuccessful attack on our children was done to delay my retaliation." He finishes gruffly.

"Were you already planning on fighting him? I mean you have always shielded his wrong doings even though he has continually had his eyes on your throne." Omeed says angrily. "I will say this Hafez, if I don't get his head on a platter then I will take matters into my own hands." Omeed threatens Hafez knowing his soft spot for his traitorous brother.

"You wouldn't need to this time. I will be killing him considering fifteen guards were murdered tonight. Iraj has to be punished." Even if Omeed had begged him otherwise, Hafez wouldn't have listened to her pleas.

"I want to be there when the prisoner is questioned." She knew they needed to hear a confession from the assassin just for formality.

"I will be called upon once he regains consciousness." Hafez seethes. "He will be wishing he was dead by the time I finish with him." Hafez's eyes took a distant look as he wonders who the individuals supporting his traitorous brother were. "You've been in the bath long enough, come out." He says looking at the goose bumps on Omeed.