Chapter 63

Cay woke up to an empty bed.  How did she know this?  She felt around where Marco should have been, only to find a cold, empty spot.

Sitting up, she let her eyes adjust to the darkness and then saw his outline sitting on the sofa, a glass in his hand.

"Why are you up?"  He sounded distant.  "I couldn't feel you next to me" she answered.  No reply.  Cay knit her brow together and waited.  Still nothing.

She got out of bed and pulled on her silk robe, not tying it, and walked over to where he sat, standing in front of him.

"Please don't shut me out, mi amore" she pleaded softly.  She watched him put his finger in his drink and twirl the cubes and amber liquid together.

"I'm going to send you, Julian and Jules away.  Tomorrow.  Not even I will know where you are being taken" his voice still monotone and void of any emotion.

"I'm not going anywhere" Cay huffed, her hands on her hips.  Marco scoffed, pissing her off further.  "You act like you have a choice, gattina" he sneered.

"What's with your attitude?  Are you deliberately trying to push me away?" She demanded.

"My mind's made up Cay.  Don't bother arguing with me, you will lose" he said.

"That's where you're wrong, husband.  You send me away now, it will make you look weak and I know that's the last thing you want" she argued.

He drank his glass empty, sat it on the floor and walked to their closet.  Cay felt a slow burn move up her body and as soon as he came out, gun case in hand, she stood there, staring at him for a moment, just waiting for him to say something and when he didn't, she stormed past him, into the bathroom, slamming the door.

Cay paced back and forth, fuming and cussing, wondering why in the hell Marco thought he could just send her away.  She wasn't going anywhere.

She sat down in the chair at her vanity and rubbed her belly.  "It's okay, mi princepessa.  Daddy won't send us away.  I won't let him" Cay said, crossing her legs and putting her earbuds in.  She needed something calming.

She wasn't sure if she was trying to convince herself that Marco wouldn't send them away or actually scared he would.

She never heard him come into the bathroom but she felt hands on her crossed knee and when she opened her eyes, he was kneeling in front of her.

She couldn't make out the emotion going on behind his gorgeous eyes, so she took out her earbuds and decided she would let him speak.

He slowly uncrossed her legs and moved in closer, lowering his lips to her belly.

"You know" he said placing one kiss.  "You amaze me at every turn" he placed another one.  "I can't pretend to understand why you want to stay" he said placing another one.

Cay opened her robe a little more and scooted forward on the seat of her chair, waiting for him to continue.

"I'm worried I can't keep you safe but then again, if you're away from me I really can't, so I'm willing to let you stay but you have to promise me that you will listen to me.  I need that from you Cay." He said, kissing her belly and then going lower.

Cay knew what he was doing, but she had some demands of her own, so she threaded her fingers through his hair and pulled his head back.

"I will do all that you ask of me, if you will do something in return for me.  Don't keep me in the dark.  I don't want to know everything, just all that applies to Whitford."

Marco closed his eyes for a moment but when he opened them, she saw the truth.  "Lo prometto (I promise)" he replied, then bowed his head back between her legs to pleasure her.

When they had finished, Cay left Marco in bed to go check on Julian and found him with his Aunt Jules.

"Mommy!" He said trying to scramble from bed, but Cay stopped him.

"How are we feeling this morning?" She asked.  "All better, mom" he answered proudly as Cay felt his head.  Thank God there was no sign of fever.

"You feel up to your online classes this morning?" She asked.  Julian nodded excitedly.  He hated missing school and she hated for him to miss the actual going to school but she understood why things were the way they were.

"Well get dressed and then meet me downstairs and we'll boot up your computer.

"But breakfast first" Cay said as she kissed the top of his head.  "Oatmeal?" He asked smiling.  Cay smiled back.  "Sure, if that's what you want."  He nodded, disappearing into his closet.

She marveled at her four year old son, how he just took everything in stride.  He didn't seem to mind having to leave their other home and they hadn't really talked about Nono's death.

She had heard him talking to someone the other night and she thought maybe he was saying his prayers, but now come to think of it, he was carrying on a conversation and she wondered if he was speaking to Nono.

She had finally gotten past the blame game, knowing it wasn't her fault, but she missed that old man and his advice and she wondered if there was something to talking to him as well.

Cay busied herself in the kitchen, fixing Julian's breakfast, when Marco came in, holding a tie.

Even though she was still miffed at him for wanting to send her away, she knew better than to remain angry at him, especially in these times. 

"You look very handsome, Mr. DeLuca" she murmured, finishing his tie and straightening it against his chest.

His eyes shown brightly as he looked down at her, wanting so desperately to give her and their children a better life, but for now he would just be happy with keeping them safe.

"You're biased, Mrs. DeLuca" he smirked.  She gave him a wink and replied "So, what if I am?"  He shook his head and kissed her.  "Nothing fiore.  I love it and promise me you will always feel this way."

"I promise Marco" she said.  "Cay, I love you.  I don't know when I'll be home.  We are bringing that cagna home to face justice for what he's done.  To Nono, to you, to this famiglia.

Carmine will remain, along with thirty of my trusted soldiers, and he and I will be in contact once an evening, but if for some reason we don't make contact, he is to take you, Julian and Jules to another safe location.

I didn't tell you because I didn't want you being upset, but it has to be done.  We finally have an advantage and we have to strike while we have the upper hand."

Cay studied her husband's expression and while she was seething inside, she would never send him off with anything between them, anything that could throw him off his game.

She stood on the tips of her toes, kissing him passionately.  "Just promise me that you will come back" she said.  "I promise."

She watched him go in and speak to Julian.  He was on his knee next to their son, as he ate his breakfast, his little face a myriad of expressions and then they hugged.

Next he hugged and spoke with Jules.  Whenever he would leave there was only one look to her face and that was fear.  She was scared for him and so was Cay, but she had to be strong for everyone else.

She would release her emotions when she was alone, in private and deal with everything else.

Her heart clinched when she watched her husband walk out the door, wondering when she would see him next.