Chapter 27

Cay and Marco waited for Dr. Able to come in and check his wounds. They both noticed that his brow was knitted together and they couldn't imagine what the look was about.

"Marco your shoulder looks good but this wound on the side, I'm concerned about it and I'm going to start you on an IV right now. Broad spectrum antibiotics. I don't want you going home just yet. We need to monitor this as I don't want it going in to sepsis.

My nurse will come in shortly to start the medicine. We need to watch for fever and chills as well as any discharge. Just lay back and get comfortable."

Marco could tell by the look on Cay's face that she was worried and that's not what he wanted, he wanted a happy Cay, not worrying about things she couldn't control.

"Cay" he called out softly. It took her a minute, but she finally looked over at him and sure enough she had tears in her eyes. "Oh baby come here" Marco urged as she got up right away and laid down with him.

"Why does it seem like everything is against us right now?" She sighed quietly. Marco kissed the top of her head and said "It's not fiorella. It's just a small bump in the road. As soon as I'm out of here, we are getting married. Period."

Just as Cay was about to say something in response to Marco's statement, a nurse walked in with an IV pole and bag. She checked Marco's vitals and made a comment that he was spiking a small fever already.

Cay turned as the nurse put in the needle and once the medication had started dripping, she left with instructions to call if they needed anything.

After a while, Cay noticed that Marco was shivering and looked pale, so she pulled the blanket to the middle of his chest and got a wash cloth to bathe his face, neck and chest.

He went from cold then hot, then back to cold again. She had called Dr. Able in and confirmed that his fever had spiked to a hundred and three. This did not sit well with Cay as she stayed up all night with him, attending to him and praying the fever would break soon.

She was so tired, her mind felt foggy and her limbs felt like they had lead in them. She hurt and ached and she knew she had been ignoring her body but Marco was more important right now, that was all she could focus on, was him getting better.

After checking on him again and bathing him once more, she stepped outside for some air and coffee.  She hadn't realized that she was being scrutinized by Dre and Carmine.

"Cay, are you okay?  You don't look so good" Dre said.  Cay shook her head.  "I-I'm just a little tired" she said.  Dre came a little closer and said "I know about your condition and Marco would string me up if you collapse.  Please, go lay down and I will get you something to eat, okay?"

She couldn't argue with that and with his help, she made it back to Marco's room.  "Dre, have Dr. Able call Dr. Klein.  Here's the number.  She'll know what it's about and give Able permission to treat me.  I need to lay down" Cay said weakly.

She could hear Dre on the phone as she drifted in and out but she was not going to allow herself to pass out, not this time.  It took all the remaining energy she had but she managed to stay conscious.

She watched Dr. Able come in with another IV pole and a bag, his expression not one of amusement.  "Ms. Cay, I know I don't need to lecture you, so I won't but I am having a portable bed moved in here and you are not to get out of it unless you need the facilities, am I clear?"

Cay nodded her head in submission and watched his expression soften.  "You need to be strong for Mr. DeLuca, my dear and that means seeing to your health as well."

Once the IV was in, two assistants came in with the bed, sheets and a light blanket.  After getting it set up and made for her, Cay slipped in under the sheets, laid her head down and went right to sleep.

Stirring, Cay slowly opened her eyes, blinking rapidly until she became acclimated to the lights in the room and moving her head to the right, she noticed deep, stormy cerulean eyes glaring at her.

God, Marco was pissed at her and there was nothing she could do about it at this point except deal with it and deal with his anger.

"Hi" she croaked out as he just kept staring at her.  "Cay I need to be able to trust you to take care of yourself.  Do you know how it made me feel to be told by my Under Boss that my fiancé nearly collapsed again due to exhaustion?  Baby, I don't want to worry about you" Marco said exasperated.

Looking down, Cay let out a big sigh.  She knew he was right and she had felt it coming on and waited until it got overwhelming and by that point she was too tired to even help herself.

"I know and I'm sorry Marco.  I knew it was getting to that point but I was so worried about you spiking a fever I just didn't pay it any mind until it hit me and by then I could hardly function" she sounded contrite.

Pulling the sheet back, Marco silently asked her to join him in his bed, which she did immediately. 

Snuggling into his side, she took in his scent and it comforted her.  "I love the way you smell" she said softly as she felt his arm tighten around her and her eyes threatening to close again but not before hearing him say he loved her.

When Cay woke up again, she found much to her surprise and displeasure that she was alone in bed.  Had Marco gotten better?  Had they moved him?  She felt very disoriented as she slowly moved from bed.

Going in to the bathroom, she pulled on a pink tee shirt and black boxers and went in search of Marco and soon came upon Marco, sitting down and his men around him and they were engrossed in heavy conversation.

When he looked up, his eyes met with her's and excusing himself for a moment, he walked towards.  "Baby are you okay?  Why are you out of bed?"

Blushing, she looked up at him and said "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to disturb you, I just woke up and found you gone.  I'll go get back in bed."

Taking her hand as she tried to walk away, he pulled her to him, his gaze soft and loving.  "Kiss me Cayanne" he said.  Standing on her tip toes, she gave in willingly to his request, her lips meeting his.

"Yes baby, that's what I need" he murmured against her moist lips.  "Come on, back to bed" he said.  As they neared the room, she turned and asked how he was feeling.

"Dr. Able said the wound is looking better and he anticipates us going home tomorrow.  I called and spoke with Nono and Julian, so all is good.  I just don't want you walking in the door looking wore out" he finished while tucking her into his bed.

"I'll be back soon.  I just need to finish up with the men."  Marco pulled the sheet up to her waist, kissed her one more time and then turned out the light and left the room.

Cay lay there for a while thinking about their wedding and the honeymoon.  The honeymoon.  That was something that consumed her thoughts.  The decadently sinful things they would be doing to each other on that night made her shiver with anticipation.  The images of Marco's naked body helped her drift off while she dreamed of becoming Mrs. Marco DeLuca.

Thanks to everyone who has been reading, voting and commenting!  Please continue doing so as I love reading your comments!  You guys rock!