Chapter 44

Cay had heard the term white noise but it wasn't until she started regaining consciousness that she really grasped the meaning.

She saw a light shine for a second in her right eye and then in her left eye.  "Mrs. DeLuca, I'm Dr. MacKenzie.  Nod if you understand me."  Cay nodded but winced at the movement.

"Okay, easy" the doctor's soothing voice said.  "Do you know what happened to you or any of the events leading up to what happened?" 

"My sister-in-law and I had finished up our shopping and we were leaving through the back entrance, when we were attacked and...oh my God!  Jules, Umberto!  Are they okay?"  Cay was getting worked up.

"Mrs.  Cay, calm down.  Your sister-in-law is perfectly fine, just a little shaken up over what happened and your bodyguard, Mr. Gallo, he is in surgery right now to remove a bullet.  I can get you updates as soon as they are avaliable."  The doctor smiled at her, putting her mind at ease.

"I'm going to call in your husband and the rest of your family now if you are okay with that?"  She nodded gingerly, remembering what happened earlier.

The concerned looks of her family did not get past her, as the tear-streaked face of Jules came into view, then Nono, concern on his face and he was carrying Julian who looked scared to death and then Marco, with a whole cornucopia of feelings running across his eyes.

"Now that everyone is here, Mrs. DeLuca has quite the bump on her head resulting in a concussion.  We did an ultrasound and the baby is fine but I want to keep her overnight, just for observation and she can go home in the morning.

I have contacted Dr. Marchand, who also has privileges at this hospital and she'll be around later this evening to check on you.  You are allowed a low dose of pain medication, if you need it.  Any questions for me?" He asked.

Cay's family shook their heads while Marco shook his hand and told him thank you for taking such great care of his wife.  The doctor smiled and took his leave.

"Julian, come here baby" Cay said softly as Nono brought him over.   "I'm okay honey, I promise.  I just got a little bump on the head, alright?"  He didn't answer but put his little arms around her neck, her eyes closed at his closeness.

"You be good for Nono and Aunt Jules and I will be home tomorrow morning okay?"  Julian nodded his head and walked over to Marco, who picked him up right away.

Jules came over and laid her head on Cay's shoulder and let out a sob.  "Please Jules, don't cry" Cay begged.  "I'm sorry, it was just so scary to see you laying there.  I had the worst thoughts going through my mind."  She sniffed and looked at Cay.

"Take a long, steamy bath and add some lavender.  It will do wonders along with" she leaned over and whispered "a glass of red wine."  Jules sputtered at what Cay said and kissed her forehead, saying she would see her in the morning.

Poor Nono, he looked like he had aged again and Cay hated that she was the cause of it.  "My dear girl" he started, shaking his head.  "I'm okay, Nono.  Honest.  Please go get some rest.  I will be home in the morning" Cay told him.  He kissed her and turned to leave.

"I love you guys and I will see you in the morning" she called out.  Marco said something to his Nono, then he closed the door and walked towards her.

He still hadn't said anything to her, but instead brought his hand up, took her chin in his fingers and tilted her head.  She didn't miss how his brow knitted together.

"Does it hurt?" He whispered.  "My head does but I didn't even know that I'd hit my face" Cay said.  "Baby, you didn't hit your face, you were struck and you hit your head on the alley wall."

Cay started to tear up, when Marco pulled her to his chest.  "I was so scared for Jules and Umberto.  There was so much blood under him." 

"Oh Cay, God I died a thousand times when Enzo called and I promise I will take care of the person who did this to you and Jules" Marco said, clutching his fists.

"The man said it was Braeden Whitford, Marco. Why does he want to hurt you?" Cay was starting to get a little agitated.

"Cay don't get all worked up, it's not good for you and the baby. Please just try to calm down, okay?" Cay closed her eyes and laid her head on his shoulder.

"Marco will you stay with me?" Cay asked tiredly. "Don't worry fiore, I'm not going anywhere tonight except right here next to you" Marco answered with a kiss to her temple.

***

Cay woke up to Marco plying her cheek with soft kisses and when she opened her eyes to look at him, she was met with a small smile.

"Hey babe.  Did you sleep at all?" Cay asked, moving some of his hair from his face.  "I did actually, having you in my arms, knowing you were safe, made me sleep very well."

Before either of them could say anything else, a friendly older nurse came in carrying a tray with Cay's breakfast which consisted of three buttermilk pancakes, two sausage links and two pieces of bacon.  She knew Marco had ordered it for her because no one else knew her like he did.

"Here's orange juice as well as hot green tea and honey.  Do you need anything else, Ms.?" She asked.  Cay smiled and said "No thank and please have a great day."   The woman looked shocked and pleased.  "Thank you and you as well miss."

Cay insisted on feeding Marco as well and to keep her happy, he allowed it because it truly seemed to make her happy.

When she had finished, there was a soft knock on the door and Marco answered finding Enzo on the other.  He handed Marco a bag and then whispered something to him.

"Okay, thank you Enzo.  I'll contact you when we know the eta of going home."  Enzo nodded and said "Boss, mistress."

"I called and asked Jules if she could pack some basics for you and something comfortable for you to wear home.  Also, Umberto made it through the night.  He's still in ICU but he's expected to be okay."

Cay put her hand to her mouth and closed her eyes, glad at the news and thankful for the bag Jules put together.

After about forty minutes, Dr. MacKenzie came in with better news, Cay was getting to come home.  They were happy with how her night went and the bump on her head had gone down and she was not suffering from headaches anymore.

"I will have the discharge papers at the nurse's station and there will be a nurse come by with a wheelchair to take you downstairs.  Good luck" he said. 

"I'll put your bag in the bathroom.   Why don't you take a shower and I will be right here if you need me, okay?"  Cay looked appreciatively at her husband and said "I love you and I will see you in a bit."

He waited for her to get in the shower and then called Andre.  "Please tell me that you found that prick who attacked my wife and sister."

"Boss we not only found him, but he's being held for you to personally interrogate him.  Just give the word." Andre waited for his boss's word.

"Cay's being released now.  When I get her home and settled in, I'm going to make that motherf*cker wish he'd never been born."