Chapter 3

Cay was exhausted by the time she got home and as tired as she was, she was going to eat something, take a bath and go to bed and in that order.

She had some left over fried chicken, so she took it off the bone and prepared homemade chicken salad with it. After getting it all mixed, she grabbed a flaky, buttery croissant from work, and piled it up with the yummy chicken mixture.

While munching on the sammie, she walked into her bathroom and started her bath, throwing in some relaxing foaming bath liquid.

The lavender scent was already permeating the air, making Cay excited to jump in and soak her troubles away. Piling her hair up and stripping off her clothes, she sunk into the fragrant bubbles.

Her mind kept traveling back to the new acquaintance she'd made at work, but even more so was Jules' brother, Marco. Marco DeLuca. Cay had never met anyone as handsome as he was.

His lips are what she kept going back to. They were pouty, in a very sexy way and that smirk? God help any woman if she could resist that.

Even through his expensive suit, she could see his muscled body, outlined through the richness of the fabric. Every time he bent his arm or moved it, his biceps would show that all his hard work at the gym was paying off.

Cay thought back to his eyes and even though he smiled, it didn't seem to reach them, it was like they'd seen too much and he was jaded. Well whatever the case, Marco DeLuca was certainly a mystery, one she wouldn't mind solving.

Cay's phone pinged, indicating that she had received a text message. She had no idea who it could be, because she had no one of substance in her life that would remotely care what she was doing, much less if she had a life.

Oh my God! It was Jules! How could she have forgotten about her new friend already, especially since she was just having thoughts about her brother?

Jules: Hey Cay! Call me as soon as you get this. I need to ask you a favor! Thanks and <3 u!

What's this? Jules was asking her for a favor? What could this possibly mean? Well Cay didn't care, she had a friend and that friend needed her!

Scrambling from the tub and drying off, Cay pulled on some little cotton shorts and a tank shirt, hopped in bed and grabbed her phone.

With shaking hands, Cay dialed Jules' number and waited. "Cay! Thanks for calling me back!" Cay's friend gushed. "Sure" Cay giggled. "What's up? Your text made it sound important" Cay finished.

There was a moment of silence before her friend answered. "Ok, here goes" Jules started. "There is going to be a huge party at my house on Friday. My grandfather is putting it together. It's basically announcing that my brother will be taking over the family business.

My grandpa has never been to fond of Marco's lady friends and well after Marco met you, he asked me to ask you if you would be his date.

He will pay for your dress, shoes and a spa day for the both of us. Oh Cay, please say you'll do it! I hate these gatherings but with you there, it would definitely be tolerable. Please?"

Cay hated to disappoint her friend and she always was one to help others in need and as much as she hated the thought of Jules' brother paying for everything, it would be an answer to prayer getting out of the house on a Friday night.

"I'll do it!" Cay told her friend excitedly and they both squealed. "Oh my gosh Cay you are just the best! I knew you were a sweetheart the moment I met you. Let's always be friends, Cay. Best friends, okay?"

Cay was touched and startled by Jules' confession and she was looking forward to having a good friend to confide in and trust with her secrets.

"Jules, I would love that" Cay said softly. Jules went on to tell Cay that she would pick her up from work on Friday afternoon.  Cay said good night to her friend, sunk down under her sheet and sighed.  Her last thoughts were of a gorgeous man that she never stood a chance with.
******************************************************
Thursday was like any other day at the coffee house, busy.  Cay saw Jules and her same group of friends and just like the previous night, Jules stayed until the end of her shift, only this time, she would get a ride home.

At first she declined only because she didn't want to inconvenience them but when it started to thunder, Cay looked at Jules and Marco, with a rather sheepish grin and gratefully accepted the ride.

Twenty minutes later they pulled up to Cay's apartment and when Jules went to get out and walk Cay to her door, Marco stopped her, saying he would do it. The two girls looked at each other and then back at Marco.

Cay nodded, knowing better than to argue with Jules' brother, so she hugged her friend and said she would see her tomorrow at noon.

Cay could feel Marco's gaze on her as they stepped to the stairwell and as soon as they reached the top, the sky opened up, with thundering and lightening and a bit of wind.

Cay fished her keys from her pocket, unlocked her door and motioned for the handsome man to step inside. She reached for the light switch by the front door and flicked it on.

"I, uh really appreciate the ride but I know you wanted to check out where I live and I totally understand why. You have to watch out for Jules." Cay waited for his reaction.

Marco smirked at her and said "Ms. Daniels I can see that you are not just another pretty face." Dear Lord, his accent was going to put her into an early grave.

"I just know that Jules is lucky to have you looking out for her. A lot of people don't have that and she's such a sweet person, the possibility of someone taking advantage of her is likely" Cay sounded wise beyond her years.

"You have no famiglia?" Marco asked. Cay smiled sadly and shook her head.  "My mom passed two months ago, so I've been on my own since."

Cay couldn't help but notice the sad look on Marco's face, reached out to him and placed her hand on his forearm.  "Please don't feel bad for me.  I have a great life now and since I've met Jules, it's gotten better."  Her smile lit up the room.

Marco didn't say anything else but instead just stared and smirked at her.  "Well I need to get going.  Jules will be here around noon" Marco told her.  Cay nodded and held the door open for him and then he did something completely unexpected, he kissed her on the cheek!