Chapter 52

Cay was hysterical and inconsolable as the weight of what happened met the light of day.

The doctor gave her a mild sedative, after it was approved through her OB and that calmed the hysteria but not the tears, those wouldn't stop for a long time.

Andre brought Cay a pretty pair of dark brown wool leggings, a beige sweater and brown flats, along with her personal hygiene items. 

The housekeeper had helped him gather these things as they were still being packed up for the move to the other house.

Jules and Marco helped a compliant Cay get dressed but when Jules went to brush her hair, Cay just sat on the bed sobbing, muttering it was her fault for being weak.

"If I hadn't been sick, if I'd just been a little stronger, he wouldn't have had to look after me.  He would still be alive.  I killed him!" She sobbed into Jules shoulder.  "I killed him."

There was no way that you could not be affected by what was going on in that room, at that very moment.

Everyone knew what Nono meant to Cay and Julian for that matter.  He'd been like a father to Cay and a grandfather to Julian and now he was gone, leaving only precious memories behind for each of them to cling to.

Once Cay was dressed, the doctor brought the discharge papers, Marco signed them and then gave a prescription to him, with the instructions of if needed for anxiety.

Once Cay was in the wheelchair, they made their way to a secured exit where Andre and Vittorio waited.  Julian had already been safely buckled into his booster seat, waiting patiently for his mommy and daddy.

"Is mommy okay, daddy?" The child asked tenderly.  "Not right now buddy, her heart is hurting but she will be alright.  We just have to help her."

Marco tried desperately to believe what he was telling his son, but he had no other choice right now.

"I know daddy.  Uncle Andre told me about Nono.  I'm sad too but I'm happy that he's an angel now and he can watch over us and keep us safe."  Everyone was blown away by the little boy's reasoning.

Marco put his face down on top of his son's head and quietly cried, hoping he could be strong enough to pull his family from this senseless tragedy.

They drove about an hour before they turned off onto a gravel road that lead them to a gated entrance where Marco's men were already stationed at guard duty.

Once Andre had identified who was in the vehicle, a code was entered into the keypad and the gate slid open and they proceeded forward until they reached the house.

It was a beautiful cabin, made of dark wood and stones, the second floor had a very attractive bay window, with a wrap around porch that was enclosed.

There were four bedrooms upstairs, two full bathrooms and downstairs had three bedrooms and two and a half baths.

The kitchen was large with plenty of counter space, kitchen island, lots of cabinet space and storage.  The appliances were stainless steel with the fridge being side-by-side, the stove was close to restaurant style and a wine cooler built into the island.

Andre, Vittorio and Umberto carried the luggage and put it into the appropriate bedrooms.  Jules said she would share a room with Julian so he wouldn't be alone.

"Thanks Jules" Marco said, kissing her forehead.  "Can you see if you can get him to take a nap?  I'm going to see to Cay and then I have to go back into the city and deal with this mess."

Jules looked at her brother, her hands gripping the lapels of his jacket, her eyes pleading with him.

"Please see to justice for our family, Marco.  I know sometimes you think me naive, but I know what our famiglia is and I know everything you do to keep us safe but please, make him pay for Nono, for Cay."

Marco hugged his sister, kissing the top of her head.  "I forget sometimes that you aren't a little girl anymore, Julietta.  You are a grown woman and I'm sorry if it seems like sometimes I treat you like a child.  But you, Cay and Julian are my family.  Remember that, fiore."

When Jules left to go take care of her nephew, Marco drew in a deep breath, preparing to go take care of Cay.  He hated the thought of leaving her in this state, but his business wouldn't wait, it couldn't.

When he walked into their room, Cay was sitting on the foot of the bed, hands clasped in her lap, just staring out the window, looking like a lost little girl.

Marco kneeled to the side of her and laid his head in her lap, hoping she would respond.  She did.

He felt her fingers glide through his hair, providing the much needed comfort he craved from his wife, giving him what he longed for the most, the strength to deal with this.

Looking up at her, her eyes were still focused to outside but she was crying and mumbling something about him hating her.

"Cay, farfalla, look at me, por favore" he had to get through to her.  "I could never hate you.  No one hates you, nor do they blame you for what happened.  This is all on Whitford.  He did this to our famiglia, not you."

Cay finally tore her eyes from the window, looking very exhausted.  He was worried for her.  "Si, Marco.  Okay" she said listlessly.

"Can I please get you to lay down and rest?  Please?  For the baby?  I have to leave for a bit, but then I'm all yours when I come back."

"Help me" she said quietly, referring to her shoes and leggings, opting to leave the sweater on, she climbed under the covers.

"Jules is here and she's seeing to Julian so all you need to do is rest.  Sleep and get better.  I can't lose you too, Cay.  My heart couldn't bear a loss like that."

Nodding she closed her eyes, but not before saying "Ti amo Marco."  "I love you too, tesoro" he replied, turning out the light and giving one more backward glance, he shut the door.

His men were all throughout the house, waiting for instructions from him.  "We'll leave in ten" he said, the coldness in his voice.

Stepping onto the porch with Andre and Vittorio, he asked for a cigarette, something he hadn't done in a long time.

He just felt tired, tired of it all but when this was over, he'd rest, not until then.  There was blood that needed to be spilt.

If Whitford wanted blood and bodies, by God he'd get blood and bodies.

A life for a life. 

"Vengeance is mine, says the Lord.  I will repay" Marco muttered, doing the sign of the cross.

Flicking his cigarette, he looked at Dre and Vit and said "Let's go."