Chapter 28

Marco was extremely happy when Dr. Able came in the next afternoon and said they could go home finally. Every time he looked at Cay all he saw was exhaustion and that concerned him.

He was heading back into the hospital room when he heard Cay in the bathroom and it sounded like she was throwing up. His heart sped up at what this meant. Was she pregnant with his child?

He tread quietly into the room, closing the door, he waited for her to come out before he would say anything. But her pale and exhausted appearance behooved him to say something and to say it now.

"Cay?" He started. She tried her best to give him a smile but he could tell she was working at it.  He held open his arms, silently asking her to come to him.

He heard her sigh and mold into his body as he became her strength, holding her close, he stroked her hair while his chin rested on top of her head.

"Do you think Dr. Able could do a blood test?" She asked and he knew exactly where her question was taking them as he looked down at her, her face looking up at his now, her eyes sparkling.

"A-are you saying what I think you're saying?" He asked.  She bit her lower lip and nodded and all he could do was hug her harder while they just stood there, wrapped up in each other.

When the doctor came in, Marco asked him about the blood test.  "Oh absolutely" he said.  "I will also give her a regular pregnancy test as well, so wait here and let me gather everything and I'll return shortly."

"How are you feeling this morning?" She asked Marco.  He shrugged.  "I feel better than yesterday but my shoulder and side still hurt a bit but I know that's to be expected."

She smiled wanly and laid back on the bed and closed her eyes, leaving Marco to think she needed to rest and he would let her.

And the more he thought about the honeymoon, the more he agreed with his choice of St. Petersburg because she could lay around and rest as much as she wanted. 

Dr. Able returned shortly with a tube, rubber trouniquet, a pregnancy test, needle and bandaid.  Marco hated to wake up Cay but as soon as they could get out of there and go home, the sooner she could rest in her own bed.

"Ms. Cay, when do you think your last period was?" The doctor asked.  Cay said approximately four weeks ago but she also told him that they weren't always consistent either.

Nodding, he apologized in advance for the sting of the stick as he put the butterfly needle into her vein which allowed her blood to flow into the tube.  Once done with that, he handed her the test and said he'd be back as soon as he could.

"Okay, let me take care of this and then you can come in and wait with me" she told Marco.  He nodded and watched her disappear behind the bathroom door.  He couldn't stop the damn breaking as his mind was flooded with all kinds of things.

A few moments later, Cay opened the door and asked if he wanted to join her, without saying a word, he followed her in and leaned against the wall as she sat on the lid of the toilet, the test lay on the edge of the sink mocking them.

"How long?" Marco asked.  Cay held up her hand and said "Five minutes."  Nodding, they both fell back into silence, Marco with his head leaning back against the wall and eyes closed while Cay just stared at the test, willing the time to tick by faster.

Finally, the old fashioned alarm clock sound went off on Cay's phone.  She looked at Marco and then said "You look for me, I just can't." 

He walked towards her slowly and picked up the test and only then did she lift her head to look at him but she couldn't tell anything by his poker face.

"Marco?" She questioned, until a huge smile spread across his handsome face and he dropped to his knees in front of her, showing her the test.

Two blue lines, she was pregnant!  Throwing her arms around his neck, she held him in a death grip while his arms encircled her waist.  "You have no idea how happy this has made me, Cay."

"I love you Marco" she cried.  He allowed his head to fall to her shoulder as they just continued holding each other until they heard a knock and Dr. Able's voice.

Walking out of the bathroom hand-in-hand, they both met the doctor with smiles and he matched theirs with one of his own.  "Well it seems congratulations are in order, Don DeLuca and Ms. Cay.  You are pregnant.  Now, I took the liberty of faxing over the test results to your doctor and I suggest you make an appointment as soon as you can."

Cay nodded while Marco told him thank you.  "Now, as far as you going home today, I think we can safely say you are ready, just take it easy, don't try to lift anything and by tomorrow night, I can come by and remove the stitches."

That was good news indeed as Marco reflected that they both could use a good soak in the tub and time in bed to rest and recoup their strength.

"Well mommy, let's pack up and go home.  What do you say?" Marco asked, grinning like an idiot.  "I think that's a wonderful idea" she said.

Marco was dressed professionally in his signature black suit while Cay was wearing black skinny jeans, a nice button down silk blouse and black heels.  Bags packed, Dre and Carmine came in for the bags and to let them know the SUV was ready.

Neither one of them voiced it but they were glad to be leaving this place behind and to be going home to see Julian, Jules and Nono.

Depending on how far along Jules and Nono had gotten with wedding plans would determine how quickly they would be married and Marco wanted it to be within a couple of days.

Julian already had his last name but he needed Cay to have it as well, for financial protection as well as the physical protection his name afforded her.

Aerin Cayanne DeLuca...he liked the sound of that very much and he couldn't wait to proclaim it in front of God and his family.

Whitford would be really hard pressed if he were to try anything at this juncture, but Marco learned a long time ago to never underestimate the power of a desperate man and Braeden Whitford was as desperate as they came.