Chapter 23

Cay paced back and forth in Nono's study, worrying about Marco, after all it's been two hours since she heard from him.

She was new to all this, this lifestyle of her new family but she didn't think it would take this long to hear something.

Jules helped take her mind off of things by getting Julian ready for bed and them reading him one of his nighttime stories.

After she was sure he was asleep, she joined Jules and her grandfather back in the study, her phone glued to her hand, while she received sympathetic looks from the pair.

"Please call, please God, someone call me" she mumbled over and over, her agonizing mantra heard by the two people hovering about her.

"God, I just got him back.  Please don't take him from me" she tearfully prayed, doing the sign of the cross.  Looking up she saw Jules handing her a bottle of water, which she accepted with a sad smile.

Finally she felt her phone vibrate in her hand.  Frantically she answered the call and a cloud of dread consumed her when she heard Andre's voice on the other end.

"Cay, Marco's been shot.  He's alive but we need you here.  Umberto should be pulling up soon to get you.  Get a bag prepared for you and Marco and we'll see you shortly."

"Okay, Dre" she whispered as she slowly turned to face Nono and Jules.  "Jules, can you please watch over Julian?  Umberto is on his way.  Marco has been, he's been...shot" her voice catches but she doesn't fall apart.

Jules hand went to her mouth while Nono slowly closed his eyes.  The three of them just stood in shock, trying, each in their own way, to digest and deal with the information just given them.

Nono stood in front of her, his hands on her shoulders and all of a sudden he looked every bit of his seventy-two years, but remained staunch with that DeLuca determination.

"Go.  We've got Julian.  You take care of Marco, we'll do the rest."  Placing a kiss on her forehead, he instructed Jules to help her pack.

Both women flew up the stairs like they were nothing and into the master suite.  Jules grabbed two bags while Cay grabbed what Marco would need first.

When she'd packed his necessities, she changed her clothes into simple black fitted joggers and a DC Comics vintage Wonder Woman fitted tee and lastly her tennis shoes.

Throwing her hair up in a high ponytail, she grabbed her items and included her phone charger, laptop and its charger.

She quickly looked over everything, making sure she didn't overlook any items.  Satisfied, she took Jules hands in her own, a look passing between sisters.

"I will" she whispered as Cay nodded and then added "I will."  A speedy hug and then the women were off back downstairs to wait for Cay's ride.

They heard voices and knew Umberto was there to collect her, so without further hesitation, she hugged Nono again and Jules, then giving her bags to Umberto they walked silently out of the house and into the waiting car.

The air was thick with trepidation, so much so, Cay thought she might suffocate.  "Berto, would you mind opening the sunroof?  I'm feeling a bit closed in" she asked politely.

"No problem, Ms. Cay" he responded respectfully.  They travelled silently for a while before her driver spoke up again, this time offering words of comfort.

"Ms. Cay I've been with the boss for a long time" he started.  "He's one tough son of a bitch, pardon my language, and ever since you came back, with his son, he acts differently, but in a good way.

He's still tough as nails but his life seems to have more purpose, you gave him hope and a heir.  He's gonna fight because he has you and young Julian.

You just need to let him know that you have his back and be the queen that he and the rest of us know that you are.  With Dre's help, you will run the family while he gets stronger."

Lord help her now!  Was she up for this challenge?  Could she do it and make him proud?  Make them proud?  The simple answer was yes, because there was no other choice here.

Stiffening her resolve, she made sure her appearance was one of strength before facing Marco's men, they had to make a united front and show they weren't without a leader.

Cay noticed they pulled into a warehouse district and that Umberto had pulled into what looked like an abandoned building but the floor slid open and revealed a ramp, which they drove down.

Looking back, Cay watched it close and hide the fact that anyone was there.  Ingenious she thought as the car came to a halt.

Dre was there to open her door and welcome her but the first thing she noticed was the blood all over his shirt and slacks.  Closing her eyes, she took in a shaky breath before opening them again.

"Come on, Cay.  This way" he said while Umberto followed with the bags.  They walked into a large open area and from the looks of things, this was their medical unit.

"All of the warehouses that you just saw are connected, underground, to each other and are accessed through a series of doorways.  This, as you can see, is our medical unit.

Dr. Able has been our Doctor since before Marco's father was head of the family.  He has ten staff that are equally skilled in the medical profession.

He wants to see you before I take you to Marco.  Are you okay?  Can I get you anything?"  Concerned laced the echo of his voice.

Cay shook her head and replied "Let's not keep Dr. Able waiting."  Nodding, he took her elbow and guided her to a small waiting area where she was greeted by a short, stocky man with a full head of silver hair.

"Ah, you must be Ms. Cay.  I'm Dr. Able and I'm sorry to meet you like this, but it is the nature of our business, si?"  He was looking her over, perhaps searching for weakness, but finding none, he smiled at her.

"Marco was shot twice.  The shoulder wound was a through-and-through and caused me a big headache.  The bullet used was made to shatter on impact, causing shrapnel to disperse.

Only through God's grace it didn't hit bone, but it caused a nasty exit wound, requiring ten stitches on both sides.

The side wound was a flesh wound, but it sliced deep through the flesh, therefore that took twenty stitches.  Barring fever or infection, he should be able to return home in four to five days.  Any questions my dear?"

Cay felt a sigh of relief as she shook her head.  "Come.  He's heavily sedated so he'll be out for four or five hours.  Just talk to him and keep him company.

If you feel anything seems off, I'm staying put but in the other room.  Just come find me.  I'm at your disposal" his kind smile and bedside manner put her at ease.

Steeling herself, she inhaled and exhaled, then stepped inside the room.  The monitors beeping and his slow, steady breaths were all she heard.

He was slightly elevated and naked from the waist up.  She saw the patched wounds, IV's and oxygen cannula that were delivering what he needed for his healing.

He looked pale and sweaty but that didn't stop her from approaching and placing several kisses on his face and forehead.

"I'm here baby" she told him.  "I'm not going anywhere until you show me those gorgeous eyes and I hear you tell me you love me."

Pulling up a chair, she plopped down and then texted Jules so they wouldn't worry.  Now she would settle in for the night and pray for the best.