Chapter 51

Marco was furious with Cay for hiding how she was really feeling and he was even more concerned about the baby.  He had to try and get her to realize how important it is for her to care for herself and their child.

He at least got her to rest in bed and she was letting him take care of her.  Julian was already at school and Jules said that she would take care of him by getting him from school and after.

"Cay I have to go into work for a little bit.  Nono will be here to care for you until I get done and then I'll be home and talk like we should have days ago.  I'm so sorry that I have been ignoring you and it won't happen again.  I promise."

He kissed her and slid her hair behind her ear.  "I love you Marco and I'll see you this evening" she said.  He nodded and left the room.

***

Andre came to Marco with updated news on Braeden Whitford and his gang.

"Somethings going on, he's planning something else, we just don't know what.  We've got feelers out everywhere trying to figure out what it is."

"Carmine, Enzo, I need for you to hack into Whitford's cell phones and laptops.  We've got to be able to get something on what he's planning.

I have undercover personnel at Julian's school so he is safe.  Jules has an extra detail on her and of course the compound is locked down, so Nono and Cay are safe."

Umberto and Vittorio had some additional information and started to tell Marco when Andre got a phone call and it was about to change all of their lives.

"When?" Andre asked.  "What time?  And where have they been taken?"  He just kept looking at Marco and then he said "We'll be right there."

"Marco, we've got to go now!  There was a fire at the compound!  Let's go!" Andre shouted, grabbing a shell shocked Marco and running to the SUV.

"What the f*ck happened?" Marco yelled.  "Somebody had better tell me something and they'd better tell me now!"

"We don't really know!  We just got a signal saying the fire alarms went off inside the main house.  The fire department got it put out and it was localized in Nono's study."

Andre just closed his eyes as Marco's gaze shot between his, Umberto and Vittorio, not missing the heavy, tense atmosphere.

"What aren't you telling me?!" He yelled.  Andre finally opened his eyes and looked right at Marco.

"The windows were locked from the outside and they thought they had secured the study door going into the house but Nono got it opened and dragged Cay to safety.

We don't know Cay's status except that she is in the hospital.  But Marco, I'm so sorry.  Nono, he didn't make it.  They said he succumbed to smoke inhalation.  His body is being held until you can come and see to him."

Marco just slid down into the seat, his head spinning and his world collapsing around him.

When they arrived at the hospital, Marco was firstly whisked away to the morgue, where one of the detectives that was on his payroll was waiting for him.

"Mr. DeLuca.  I am so sorry for your loss."  He leaned over and whispered "We caught the man and he's been delivered to your warehouse.  Come this way.  Through here."

Marco was a balled up fist of emotions as the coroner pulled back the sheet to reveal the body of his grandfather, his Nono and he couldn't stop the howling, injured cry that escaped his lips.

This man had raised he and Jules and was like a second father.  He meant the world to Cay and Julian as well.  How was he supposed to tell them that he's dead?

"Detective, I appreciate your discretion on this.  The funeral home will be coming to get my grandfather and I would really appreciate if you could stay with his body until he's been picked up."

Marco took an envelope out of his suit pocket and while handing it to the detective, he asked "Would you please make sure that security is tight around the mortuary?  I would consider it a professional favor."

"Mr. DeLuca consider it done,  anything your family needs, we will see it done.  Also, we will keep you in the loop regarding any other people that might have anything to do with Whitford.  Again, I'm sorry for your loss."

Marco nodded at the man and followed Andre up to where Cay was, followed by Umberto and Vittorio.  He was not prepared for what he saw and his heart almost stopped beating.

She was lying in the hospital bed, on oxygen, several surface burns on her face, arms and neck.  The doctor met him outside and filled him in before going to his wife's bedside.

She wouldn't scar physically, but emotionally and mentally she would as would the rest of them.  But the main thing was she and their child were okay and safe.

"Cay, baby.  Can you hear me?" He said softly, kissing her cheek.  She moaned, trying hard to open her eyes.

"Marco?" She said weakly.  "Nono, I couldn't help him get out.  I'm so sorry" she said, sobbing into his neck.

"Shh, baby.  Calm down.  It's okay.  Everything will be okay.  We'll be fine.  I just need you to get better so I can take you out of here. 

We won't be going back to that house for a while.  There's another house I have just outside the city, so you, Julian and Jules will be safe."

"Marco you have to get him.  You have to make him pay for what he's done to our famiglia.  He can't get away with it."  Cay was slipping back off to sleep as Marco reached for his phone to call Jules.

He would have Carmine pick her and Julian up, because until that piece of sh*t was dealt with, his family was vulnerable and he would not have that.

Once Cay and the rest of his family were safely at the other house, Marco was going to deal with the cagna who killed his Nono.  It would be brutal and bloody and he would make sure the man felt every single painful moment as he was executed slowly.

***
Thirty minutes later a distraught Jules ran down the hall to Cay's room where she was met by Marco waiting on her.

Julian was being entertained by Andre for the present time and Andre would eventually see him to the safe house.

"Oh my God, Marco!" Jules cried, throwing herself into his arms.  "Please tell me it's not true!  Not Nono!  Please not Nono!" She sobbed.

Marco held her tightly as she cried and when she had finally calmed down, he asked her to sit with Cay while he spoke with Vit and Umberto.

"Is Cay okay, the baby?" She asked.  He nodded, kissing her forehead.  "Cay and the baby are fine.  They are just keeping her overnight.  Tomorrow morning, we are moving to the country house.  As we speak, our personal effects are being packed up and moved."

Jules nodded and stepped inside Cay's room as Marco watched her, wishing this nightmare was just that, a nightmare.

Braeden Whitford would pray for death by the time Marco was finished with him.  Anyone that was in league with him, would beg for mercy but there would be none.  He was fresh out of mercy.