Chapter 24

(Continuation of chapter 23)

Cay sat steadfastly by Marco's bed side and when she wasn't bathing his forehead and chest with a cool wash cloth, she was holding his hand, her thumb rubbing his knuckles.

Laying her head down, her hand still on top of his, Cay finally allowed her eyes to close for just a minute.

She was startled awake by a gentle hand shaking her shoulder. Blinking several times, she focused in on Dre's eyes and then Dr. Able. "Sorry, I was just so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open" she explained.

"It's fine Cay" Dre assured her. "Doc just wanted to check on Marco and I wanted to come get you so I could feed you. Marco would have my ass if he found out you hadn't eaten."

She scoffed, knowing very good and well that Marco would indeed have his ass as well as hers. She stood, stretched and followed him out into another part of the facility.

Cay found herself surrounded by all of the men that Marco held closest and trusted implicitly and the respect that they showed her was touching.

After eating Dre, stood up and said "We have strategies that need to be discussed and justice that needs to be dispensed. Marco needs us to be on our A game, so we need to gather as much information as possible."

"What if we put out the word, just within our circle, that Marco didn't make it. We tell only the heads, let the rumor circulate and then draw out Braeden Whitford and crush him." Cay could hardly believe the words that came from her mouth, but she believed in them.

Carmine smirked while Vittorio remarked "Now I see why Marco loves you. I second our queen's assessment" he said while Dre and Carmine agreed with her tactic.

Leaning over to Andre, she asked "Would Carmine be the one to contact them or would it be you, Dre?" He smiled before responding. "Normally it would be me, but we can cover more ground if we split the task." Nodding, she continued.

"Carmine, would you and Andre coordinate who is going to call which family heads and work on getting that done, please? Thank you" Cay said politely, both men nodded.

"Is it possible, without drawing too much attention to us, to place individuals out there as our eyes and ears for what Whitford's endgame is?" Cay asked.

Bruno nodded. "I'll take care of this, my queen" he replied respectfully. "Thank you, Bruno" she added as the man smiled slightly at her.

Looking at Dre, she gave him that look as if asking is there anything else. He quietly whispered that the rest of the men should continue on as normal. She picked up from there.

"Keep the businesses rolling, gentlemen, like nothing happened. We can't have people getting greedy, thinking that a vacuum has been created.

If anyone gives you grief, please let me know and it will be handled. Thank you all and please be careful." Cay respectfully dismissed them and as everyone went to do their duties, Carmine and Dre stayed behind.

"I overheard Marco talking to you about his license for Assets and meeting with the city councilwoman. Did that ever happen?" Cay asked.

Carmine smirked and said it had, that when all this went down, he'd picked it up personally. Cay sighed and nodded.

"Carmine, I know you both have a lot to deal with, but can you finish up whatever is lacking for this to be finished? I don't want Marco trying to jump in and do it all and we know he will" Cay knew her man well.