Chapter 50

After being home from the family vacation for two weeks now, life was back to normal, or as normal as it could be in the DeLuca household.

Cay was in the kitchen baking for Julian's after school Christmas party, Marco was buried in work and had been since they had returned, Jules was in Finals week at college and Nono, well he just kept doing whatever needed to be done.

She tried desperately to mask the loneliness and sadness that being alone brought and of course her hormones were all a rage, and she was just plain tired.

She didn't dare tell Marco or he would make her get in bed and stay, but she wasn't sure how much longer she could continue being an actress, it was proving difficult at best and her stress level was always up because of Braeden f*cking Whitford.

Sighing, she finally got the cupcakes in the oven. Red velvet and she made green frosting by adding food coloring. The candy sprinkles and cupcake papers would make them festive no doubt.

Laying her head down on the counter, Cay tried, without success to keep the room from spinning. She knew it was coming, she just had to hold on until she got the cupcakes out of the oven and then pass out.

She dealt with a little resentment, thinking if Marco was ever home, he'd see the dark circles under her eyes and her hair wasn't as shiny as it used to be. She hated looking and feeling like this, but when she chose him, she chose his life and everything that came with it.

Ten minutes sure seemed to take a long time but just as she looked at the timer, Nono walked in so she knew he would be there at least.

The timer went off, thank heaven, and she got them pulled out and set on a pad to absorb the heat.

"Cay, what smells so good?" Nono asked, walking in sniffing the air.

Clearing her throat, she rasped "Cupcakes for Julian's Christmas party."

He knitted his brow, frowning at her. "Cay, what's going on tesoro?" About the time she reached him, her eyes rolled back in her head and she fainted in his arms.

***
"Why the hell didn't she tell me?!" Marco's frustration could be heard within a ten mile radius.

"Because, you've been all up in work, leaving early, coming home late and she didn't want to add worry to the stress you were already under!" Jules hissed at her brother.

"Alright you two" Nono said heatedly. "Take it outside this room if you can't quit arguing."

Cay heard their conversations through solidly closed lids. Her exhaustion more extensive than she realized.

She knew she needed to feel him, just a touch from his hand on hers or his lips pressed to her forehead. Something. Anything would do.

"Marco?" She moaned softly. She could sense the bed dipping down, and then she felt his body next to hers, his arm draped across her waist and then his lips to her cheek.

"My little, fragile fiore. How are you feeling?" He whispered. "So tired but good now that you're here" came her mumbled reply.

"Julian's cupcakes" she started. "Ines is taking care of them" he told her, referencing their new additional kitchen helper.

Cay sighed contentedly as she cautiously opened her eyes, turning her head to catch a glimpse of her husband.

Their eyes met. All of a sudden, his eyes mirrored the tiredness she'd been feeling and she regretted being too weak to care for her husband.

Pushing the blanket down and raising her tank shirt, she asked Marco to give her his hand and once he did, she placed it on her belly which had grown by two more weeks.