Chapter 74

Cay jumped when she heard Marco groan in pain, grimacing and breathing hard, his chest rising and falling rapidly.

Getting up from her chair, she turned the bathroom light on and then returned to Marco's side, his forehead covered in a thin film of sweat.

Cay grabbed a washcloth from the shelf in the little side closet and wet it under the sink.

Ringing it out, she gently blotted it over his face, careful of his eye and lip, and removed some dried blood around the injured areas.

She hissed as she moved the rag down his chest, when her eyes landed on his ribs. They had turned the most angry color blue and purple she'd ever seen and she feared that he might have serious internal damage.

"God baby. I so wish I could take this from you right now" Cay whispered, running her finger through his hair. She couldn't stand seeing him hurt like this.

She crawled up on the non-injured side, so she could get just a little closeness, something she'd been craving and was in need of.

Just focusing on him seemed to help her deal with the swirling turmoil that threatened to liquefy her brain.

His lips were still so beautiful to her, even though his bottom one was split on the right side.

Her body moved without any provocation when she bent her mouth to his, she only hesitated a moment before she let them touch, ever so softly, but touch they did.

She felt nothing but love for him as she applied a little more pressure to the kiss and she was amazed at how soft they still were, even with the beating he took.

"I want you to open those beautiful eyes and look at me so badly" she cried. "But I also need you to rest and gather as much strength as you can. Please come back to us. We need you. I need you."

Cay tried to imagine what his gorgeous face was going to look like with a scar on it and determined that there wasn't anything that could be done to it that would make him less attractive or desirable.

His side looked terrible and that was the wound that concerned her the most, where infection might likely start.

Dr. Able had started him on two IV bags, both strong antibiotics and they had given him his pain medication through the port in his IV.

He also told Cay that the medication Adelaide had given him, was most likely a double dose and that's why he was having such a hard time waking up. It would just have to run its course.

Before her mind could run off somewhere else, Isabelle decided to make her presence known and start kicking, her stomach rolling like gentle waves upon the sea.

Cay couldn't help but let out a small giggle as she watched her belly ripple from her daughter rolling around.

Taking Marco's hand, she lifted her shirt, placed it on her belly and said "Isabelle, that's daddy's hand, tesoro. He's not feeling well right now, but he loves you very much."

Cay had no sooner stopped talking, when she felt a sharp pain, from a kick, and then her stomach started moving again and at one point you could see a small heel impression from Isabelle's foot on the side of her belly!

Quickly reaching into her pocket, she retrieved her phone and did the same thing like what he did with Julian. She recorded this event with their daughter, hoping she could share it with him.

Sure enough, Isabelle cooperated and did a repeat of the earlier kick and Cay got it all on her phone.

Yawning, she decided to try and get comfortable in the recliner-type chair and get some rest, hoping that maybe the drugs would be out of Marco's system and he would wake up tomorrow.

"Ti amo, Marco. I need you to know this. I really do. You have been the best thing that has ever happened to me and I can't imagine my life without you."

She had to know again, if what she experienced earlier when she kissed his lips, was true and not just a fluke.

Licking her lips, she placed her hand behind his neck, her thumb lightly stroking his jawline and brought her mouth to his.

No hesitation, just loving contact. She kissed once, lifted her head to look at him, and then kissed him again and then again.

She received her answer in being able to kiss him like that, knowing she was stronger than she gave herself credit for, Marco would need her to be strong for him.

Knowing him, he would blame himself for what happened, even though it was clearly not his fault. She could hear him now. I should have been stronger, I should have fought her!

The amount of drugs that cagna gave him, would have dropped an elephant. He would have been rendered unconscious in seconds.

Kissing him again, she got up and went in search of Dr. Able, she had some questions that needed answering.

Carmine was outside talking to Andre, Enzo and Umberto. Vittorio was at the main house, spending time with Julian, keeping him calm about his father.

Dre was on his way to the main house because he hadn't really seen Jules since all of this went down.

"Cay are you okay?" Dre asked her. She sighed and said "Yeah, but I'm really thirsty and I need to talk with the doc. I have some questions. After that, I'm going to sleep in Marco's room and I want you guys to get some rest as well."

"Donna, what would you like to drink?" Berto asked her.

"I noticed there were some huge bottles of flavored waters in the fridge. One of those would be great, any flavor, Berto. Thank you" she said as he nodded and headed off that way.

Dre had gone to fetch the doctor and he was by her side within minutes.

"What can I do for you, Cay?" He asked kindly. The men started to leave when Cay stopped them.

"No, you guys stay. You don't have to leave" she told them.

"I wanted to know if the drugs he was given will affect his memory of what happened that night. And if you think so, will it be temporary or permanent?"

The doctor rubbed his chin thoughtfully before answering and then said "It is very possible that he will have memory loss. As to whether it's temporary or permanent is hard to say. He might remember, but I honestly don't know" he replied.

"I don't want anyone telling him what happened that night. If he remembers, I want it to be on his own. It will be hard enough on him, if he recalls it on his own, without me telling him."

Cay was petrified about him remembering anything, but she would deal with that when it happened.

The men reluctantly agreed with her and assured her they wouldn't say a thing.

Berto returned with a black cherry and mango flavored water and after thanking him, she returned to Marco's room for the night.

Sitting in her chair, she peeled off her boots and stuck them to the side.

She twisted the lid off the mango water and took a long drink. The cold, fruity water was delicious and quenched her thirst.

Standing, she moved to the right side of the bed again, leaned forward and gave him another kiss on the lips, before returning to the chair, curling up in it and closing her eyes.

She felt so emotionally drained and so tired but her mind wouldn't shut off and she needed sleep, badly.

Knowing she shouldn't, she got up and crawled into bed with Marco and just like magic, her body calmed down and relaxed as her head laid on his shoulder.

"You always did know how to put me to sleep" she mumbled softly, already drifting off.