Chapter 24

Not Edited

"Tell me! Tell me how it went! I want to hear all of it!" Omeed brushed an enthusiastic Feriha off as Feriha pressurized her for details. Omeed had just returned from her reunion with her family and although she had a silly grin plastered on her face, Feriha could see the sadness behind those vivid expressive eyes.

She was no fool to Omeed's sham, the heaven knows if there was one thing she has learned over the years, it was Omeed had a way of putting up a brave front. Deciding not to dwell on that for now, Feriha continued pestering her.

"Come on Omeed there has to be some story behind those boxes and I must say you look amazing dressed like an Hindu princess." Feriha teased Omeed. She had seen the escorts that had returned with Omeed as people stopped and stared.

"They were my birth mother's." She replied with a nonchalant shrug as she went about instructing the servants where to place the boxes. "I will tell you everything but for now these retainers need to return."

Once alone with Feriha for company, Omeed unveiled herself as she went about telling Feriha all that had occurred. Including what had led to her biological parents death. By the time Omeed finished narrating her experience, Feriha was overwhelmed with sadness and was in tears.

"They have each other and I am sure are in a better place." Omeed tried consoling an hysterical Feriha. Omeed's father had been killed because of jealousy and he had made a deal with the Mughals something his fellow Hindus at the time saw as a traitorous act.

"I hate it when lovers are separated by humans."  Feriha's outburst had taken Omeed by surprise. Omeed understood it had to do with her own grief from experience. "Why does everything have to be so complicated in life?" She grumbled causing Omeed to give her an incredulous look.

"Feriha, what are you talking about? Is everything alright?" Omeed asked sensing her outburst needed to be addressed.

"Omeed my dear friend, I have had a lot of time to think things through in the days you were gone. I want to be happy with a husband and children. I want a family of my own someday." She sniffled.

"You know I once had those dreams. I was once a cheerful little girl who ran around her village without a care." Feriha laughed humourlessly. "Although father was a poor farmer, having him, mother and my little brother made me happy."

Omeed could only watch and listen in dismay as Feriha for the first time in the years they've been acquainted delve into her past. She wasn't going to stop Feriha if Feriha thought it was time she shared her past with Omeed.

"It all blew away one day, a gust of wind came and took it all away." Feriha sobbed harder. "One moment I was out playing with the other children, the next I was being sold for a half bag of grain." She chocked as Omeed gasped taking Feriha's hand into hers.

"Don't comfort me Omeed. That was only the start on my ordeal." She pulled her hand out of Omeed's glaring at her slightly. "If you sympathise with me the words wont come out." For the first time Omeed realise Feriha had been drinking from the stench she got off her.

"The noble man I was sold to at the mere age of eight tried to force himself on me." She laughed but Omeed could only quiver in disgust. "His wife saved me just in time but sold me to a brothel once the man claimed I had seduced him." Feriha stated as she gestured with her hands.

"My childish innocent heart committed the greatest sin at the age of twelve. I fell hopelessly in love with a nobleman's son." This was is, this is where her pain really lies. Omeed thought to herself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLASHBACK