Chapter 54- Still dont like you

Bernie threw down his clipboard when Desiree missed her second three, he placed his hands on hips and began to pace. This was the second game of the season and it was intense, the Lynx came with superb defense and the fact that it was Mother's Day had everybody stressing to play their best. Phoenix Mercury were down, 85-91 in the fourth with 3 minutes left on the clock.

He called for a time out, his ladies jogged over to him breathing heavily, "Ok, we gotta get back in the game. Knight, they are hassling you and I know they are going to continue to double team you, Brittney I want you to find and open lane so Desiree can pass you the ball when she needs to."

Desiree wiped her face with her jersey, she was panting and sweating hard, "Coach, their defense is-"

"I know," he nodded, "They came prepared to face you. On defense I want you and Brittney to switch, all of their shots are inside the pant, Desiree you gotta get in there to rebound and block, Brittney you take the perimeter. Let's go!"

"Hustle on three!" Desiree yelled. Once their huddle was over, Desiree took a deep breath and looked up at the scoreboard. She was tired, she had been playing hard but the Lynx were no joke.

Bridget bit her lip as she watched with Donovan on her lap, "They can comeback and win, right?" She asked Benjamin.

"Duh! Ma's not going to let them win," Benjamin scoffed, "Have faith mommy."

"I do, I'm just nervous, there's not much time," she reminded.

Desiree was guarding Seimone Augustus close, who faked left before pulling up for a three only to have Desiree jump up quickly and block causing the crowd to go wild. Brittney caught the ball when it flew out of Seimone's hands and charged down the court before laying up the ball. 87-91.

The Mercury were determined to win this game, they were stopping the ball and scoring, exactly what needed to be done if they were going to bring the score up. 89-91. Desiree sat down when the Lynx called a timeout, looked back at her mother and smiled, she looked at Bridget who winked causing her to blush and wink back. She downed some water before jogging back on the court. When Brittney passed her the ball, she didn't hesitate to shoot a three and splashing it in. 91-91. Desiree quickly got back on defense, Natasha Howard drove to the hole and as she went up for a layup, Desiree leaped up and palmed the ball before wagging her finger at Natasha, of course the crowd were all on their feet now, chanting "Let's Go Phoenix! Let's Go!."

Only 57 seconds were left on the clock, Desiree threw the ball halfway down the court, Diana caught it before shuffling to the three point line and splashing in a three. 94-91. Desiree high fived Candice before getting back on defense, 43 seconds left now. Brittney quickly stole the ball from Natasha but before she could make it far with it, she was double team causing her to dish the ball to Diana who ran down the court bypassing anyone in her way before throwing up a floater, she missed but Desiree caught the rebound and slammed it in. 96-91.

Desiree was panting hard, she hadn't been this tired in a very long time. She was in good shape and feeling good but that didn't matter to her, she still wanted to improve. Siemone had the ball now, she tried to cross Desiree over but the ball player stayed with her, she felt trapped so she passed the ball to Natasha who laid it up. 96-93. Now back at their end of the court, Brittney drove to the basket but was quickly guarded so she threw the ball to Desiree who looked up at the clock, 28 seconds left. She crossed over to Siemone, thankful that her shoes protected her ankles, she spun to the right and released the ball, knocking down the three. 98-93.

There was 10 seconds left on the clock when Natasha battled Brittney, she was about to pass the ball but Diana blocked the pass and took off with the ball. Desiree raced down to their end of the court, 5 seconds left. Desiree launched the ball, Desiree caught it mid-air before slamming it in the hoop with a 360 dunk. Mercury win 100-93.