Chapter 4- Took an L

Sue Bird now has the ball, she held up the number two to signal their play. Desiree followed Abby wherever she went, when the ball was passed to her, she guarded Abby closely like her coach wanted. The small forward tried to get past the rookie but it was no use, she pivoted struggling to find an open woman. Abby decided to get Desiree off of her so she elbowed the rookie in the stomach hard, sending her down backwards onto the court.

"Uh oh," Scarlett mumbled.

Benjamin looked at Scarlett then back at the court. Desiree sprung up ready to lounge at Abby, her teammates had to literally force her away from the other player.

"Uh oh, looks like The Savior and Abby are exchanging some words," Terry Gannon said.

"Abby better watch out, Chicago is in the house," Mark Jones chuckled, "She's going to need some saving real soon if Knight isn't contained."

Desiree was now on the bench breathing heavily, she knows Abby did it on purpose, she wanted to kick her in her throat.

"Well that was an offensive foul don't you think?" Bridget asked while sitting next to Ben.

"Ma!" He cheesed and hugged her, then frowned, "Where have you been?"

"Long story sweetie," she sighed.

"Ok, we'll talk later. Mom, this is Scarlett Mayer-Knight, Desiree's mom," Ben smiled.

"Desiree's m-mother..." Bridget cleared her throat, fixed her hair a little before holding out her hand, "Hi, Bridget Galloway."

Scarlett smiled, "Hello, your son is very lovely and just so smart."

Bridget blushed, "Thank you. I'm sorry that you had to babysit him for me."

"Oh no, it was no problem at all, Desirer gave him some money for snacks if he wanted them and he was polite and asked if he could go get them, he was no trouble at all. Not to be rude dear but are you dating my daughter?" Scarlett asked curiously.

"Oh, no ma'am, she's wonderful but we are just friends," Bridget smiled politely. If you guys aren't dating, why the hell are you so nervous? The brunette thought to herself.

"I see," Scarlett said with a little disappointment, she really wanted Desiree to date again, ever since...her, she's been so lonely.

Bridget noticed the look on the woman's face, she didn't know what to say, "So um you came in town to watch Desiree play?"

"Yes, I would've been here for the first game but my flight got canceled," she sighed.

"Ugh I hate when that happens, well I'm sure she's happy you're here," Bridget smiled.

"She better be," Scarlett chuckled.

2:18 left on the clock, "Coach, put me back in," Desiree begged.

"No Knight, you're done for the night." Coach Bernard snapped.

Desiree sighed and sat back down, she hated watching the game and not being able to help.

Bridget and Scarlett continued to converse while glancing at the scoreboard every now and then, Benjamin continued watching the game until the end.

Phoenix lose 76 to 83.

XXXXX

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!" Bernard yelled.

The ladies of the Phoenix Mercury women's basketball team nearly jumped out of their skin when their coach barged in their dressing room screaming.

"WE SHOULDN'T HAVE LOST!" He yelled again.

"Coach we-" Britney started.

"NO! NOBODY TALKS BUT ME! YOU NEED TO GET MORE REBOUNDS, PROVIDE SECOND CHANCE OPPORTUNITIES!" He yelled towards Britney before turning his attention to the sweaty rookie at the corner locker, "KNIGHT!"