Chapter 36- Temptation

"Second place!"Bridget huffed, "That shit was rigged!"

Desiree sighed and shook her head, "No it wasn't, he just got second place. It was his first competition, I think that's good."

Bridget glared at her girlfriend, "Excuse me what? Since when is second place good?!"

"For a 9 year old? Uh I don't know since forever!" Desiree snapped.

Bridget looked at her crying son that she was soothing, "Honey can you go upstairs? I'll be up in a minute." Ben nodded and jogged up to his room, the actress stood up from the couch and stepped closer to Desiree, "I don't know what your family taught you Knight, but in this family, we don't get second place!"

Desiree chuckled, "Oh that explains so much. You don't even see what you're doing to him. You're doing the same thing that your mother has been doing to you for years. So he got second place? So what? I'm very proud of him, he's 9 and beat out 460 other kids his age throughout the state!"

"I never said I wasn't proud of him," Bridget scoffed.

"Well you never said that you were either..." Desiree scoffed back.

Bridget stayed silent, realizing that Desiree was right, "I don't want to be my mother," she mumbled.

"Well then, go tell your son that you're proud of him and hopefully he'll get first place next year," Desiree said.

Bridget rolled her eyes and went upstairs to Benjamin's room.

7:15am Wednesday, December 20, 2016

Bridget looked at a sleeping Desiree with a sleeping Donnie on her chest, with his hand in her hair. The past week or so had been going well for the family and they were due to leave for Chicago in the morning. Bridget was excited, Ben would see where Desiree came from and she just hoped that it brought them closer. He hadn't been in his best spirits since losing the Young Writers Competition but Bridget was determined to make this trip worthwhile.

After she finished brushing her teeth, she began to look through her closet. She decided this would be a good Friday considering that it was her last Friday of work until the new year. She decided on wearing black jeans, a tan sheer shirt and her favorite black leather jacket. After she finished getting dressed, she walked over to Ben's room to wake him. It was currently 7:40am and he had to be at school at 9am.

Desiree woke up at about 8:15am due to Bridget yelling that breakfast was ready. She was confused when her son was no longer sleep on her chest. In her sports bra and basketball shorts she jogged downstairs to the kitchen, "Did you take him off my chest?" She asked as she entered the kitchen and sat at the island next to her son's high chair.

Bridget looked over her shoulder from the stove, "Yes Des."

"Why?" Desiree frowned, "You know I hate when you do that. If I go to sleep with him on my chest, I'd like to wake up that way."

"Ok baby, I'm sorry," Bridget rolled her eyes before turning around and giving her a plate of pancakes, "I only woke him up because he needs to eat."

"I get that but when you wake him up make sure to wake me up too," Desiree said, "I don't like being away from him," she mumbled as she wiped her sons mouth.

Bridget smiled to herself hearing Desiree say that. She knew Des would love their son the moment she met him. The woman had been home for only a month and she couldn't get enough of the kid. Bridget had plans of being happy with Desiree for the rest of her life but it seemed as if Desiree was taking forever to propose. She didn't want to rush the process but the fact that Nicole prances around with her ring and marriage license, makes Bridget a little antsy. She turned back to Desiree, "So what's on your agenda today?"