Chapter 44- Just Fine

Desiree eventually cried herself to sleep but sleep didn't come as easily for Bridget. It was 9am now and she was still up, holding Desiree and staring at the ceiling. Her life had never been exactly easy, at least not for long. She was hiding the fact that she just wanted to cry and hide in her room. She knew life had to continue though, she knew she and Desiree had to try again, they just had to. It had taken all night but Bridget was officially drained and hurting so when she felt Desiree moving against her, she secretly hoped she'd just stay sleep.

"Mm," Desiree mumbled, Bridget clearly wasn't lucky.

"Hi," Bridget said.

"You didn't get any sleep did you?" Desiree asked.

"None" Bridget said, "Do you still have Moulin Rouge and those other old movies in your movie case?"

"Yeah...why?" Desiree asked.

"Can I watch them?" Bridget asked with sad eyes.

"Yeah Of course" Desiree kissed her head, "You're not going to see Emily?"

Bridget shook her head and sunk deeper into bed, "No. Not today."

Desiree nodded while yawning, she stretched and got out of bed, "I'm going to make you breakfast."

"Ok, can you close the curtains?...All of them," Bridget stated.

Desiree frowned, she felt bad for Bridget but she obliged. She placed her Finding Neverland DVD in and left the room. Once she got downstairs she realized how much of a mess the house was. Donovan's toys were...everywhere. Benjamin's shoes were by the door, his basketball with them. The thing that caught Desiree's attention was the kitchen, it was mess. She sighed and began to clean.

It wasn't long before the doorbell rang, she didn't want any company so whoever it was would be turned around. Except for the worried looking woman with brown eyes she called an older sister, "Morning Steph."

"Hi...are you ok?" She asked as she stepped inside.

"I'll be alright," Desiree nodded, "Did you get Ben to school?"

"Yes, Donnie is just in the car, he's asleep. I didn't want to bring him in if-"

"It's fine. Just because we aren't doing our best doesn't mean we force him on you, go get him out of your car and bring him in," Desiree nodded. She knew she'd be the one dealing with him today because Bridget needed time and space, she could tell from the moment she woke up.

"Mama!" Donnie smiled wide as he stumbled into the house.

"What's up Donnie?" She smiled as she picked him up.

"Mama!" He giggled.

"Yeah it's me," she chuckled, "I've missed you," she said honestly.

He snuggled into her and hummed a happy hum. He always liked being in her arms, Desiree loved holding him because Bridget always kept him smelling good. For the first time in 12 hours, Desiree felt as if she didn't need anyone but this baby boy. That feeling quickly disappeared when Steph asked, "How's Bridget holding up?"

Desiree sighed and held Donnie closer, "Uh she's not doing too good this morning, she let me know that she didn't want to be bothered today. I'm going to make her breakfast and leave her be."

"You have to be strong for Des, I know you're hurting too but just imagine how empty she feels," Steph reminded.

"Yeah I know, I know she's hurting but I just...I-I...I don't know," Desiree groaned, "I've never felt like this before, my heart is literally aching I can feel it and I want it to stop."