Chapter 14- What about me?

Bridget led Desiree inside her hotel room, "So let's talk."

"Sit," Desiree instructed as she leaned against the door.

The brunette raised her eyebrow before sitting down on the bed, "This seems serious Knight."

"It is, I would've called but that's not my style. Brit I want to know why you insisted on keeping Ben from seeing me this week," Desiree folded her arms.

Bridget sighed, "You let my eight year old get in your head and drove all the down here to ask me this?" When Desiree didn't respond, the 28 year old continued, "I wasn't trying to keep him away from you, I just didn't want you to have to deal with him, you have to focus on basketball."

"You can't decide that for me Bridget," Desiree said.

"But I do have the right to decide what's best for my son," Bridget stated.

"He likes being with me Bridget, I won't hurt him. If he wants to stay with me, I think you should let him," Desiree said her voice raising a little.

The brunette rose from the bed and walked closer to the rookie, "Knight, I don't think you fully understand that he is my son. I know you won't hurt him because I won't let you."

Desiree could see Bridget holding back tears, "Why are you so scared?"

"How can I not be Desiree?! He is everything to me, it's already bad enough that I don't get to spend the amount of time with him that he would like, he didn't even know his father and he just lost the only father figure he ever knew because of me, because I wasn't good enough-"

"Bridget you are more than good enough, when are you going to stop letting Patrick dictate-"

"I'm not done Knight," this caused Desiree to snap her mouth shut, "Patrick is no longer going to control how Ben and I live our lives. I was simply explaining to you that he's been through a lot and he doesn't need you popping in and out of his life."

"I'll be here permanently," the rookie stated.

Bridget shook her head, "You say that but you don't know that. You don't know what it's like to be a parent, let alone to mean anything to an 8 year old. He's going to expect the impossible from you and when you can't deliver then what?"

"I'll deliver every time, I love him Brit," Desiree sighed.

"...I'm sorry but I can't allow him to get too attached to you, you will disappoint him and he doesn't need that," Bridget stated.

"You don't know that though," Desiree sighed, "This isn't about Ben, this is about you. You being scared to be with me, you're scared that I'm going to hurt you and I'm not. You have to trust me."

"I can't Desiree!...I just can't, I'm sorry," Bridget let the tears she'd been holding back finally fall, "I want to but-"

"No I get it," Desiree looked down, "I guess I'll just leave now," she looked back up at the brunette that wouldn't look her in the eye. She then turned around and opened the door, leaving.

July 12, 2015

Desiree was at her mother's house shooting around in the back yard with Leigh-Ann, she needed to clear her head, so she decided to stay at her moms house for a while.

"I'm glad you came out here Leigh," Desiree said as she shot the ball and missed.

"I love it out here already, I'm here to stay. So uh have you talked to Bridget?" Leigh asked.

"Nope, I can't get her off my mind either," Desiree admitted.

"I'm sure you guys will get it together," Leigh said, "You know your mom went to Chicago to see your dad right?"