Chapter 76

READ. THE. AUTHORS. NOTE. AT. THE. END.

Tyler's POV:

       I hummed carelessly as I unlocked the front door to the apartment, Korey, Sawyer, and a few others from the group standing behind me. A few days ago they all suggested we go out to eat somewhere, and insisted Troye could tag along. They all laughed at something Lilly said and I shook head, pushing the door open.

       "Baby?" I called out like usual, and everyone behind me cooed. I rolled my eyes at them but then furrowed my brows when I didn't get a response. "Trooooye?" I dragged out, feeling a bit concerned when I still didn't hear him, and I couldn't hear the water running. I turned to the others then, plastering on a smile. "He probably took a nap or something. I'll go get him, for now just make yourselves at home." They all began sitting down or admiring some of the pictures on our walls before I turned and slowly made my way into the bedroom. I shut the door behind me and felt the corner of my mouth lift up when I saw him exactly where I thought he'd be. His back was to me since he was lying on his side, facing the window. The blankets were pulled up to the middle of his back and he seemed to be asleep. Then I heard a sniffle.

       I felt my heart drop a little, along with my smile, and slowly crept forward, trying to stay quiet even though he knew I was there. I sat behind him on the bed, wrapping my arm around him slightly as I peered down at the side of his face. My lips parted when I noticed his features. His eyes were rimmed read, nose runny, and cheeks pink--as though he's been crying for a while. A few tears continued to trickle down his cheeks occasionally, pulling my heart more.

       "Are you okay sweetheart?" I asked in a hushed tone, and he just shook his head, not looking at me. I felt my bottom lip quiver at how obviously torn he was. "What's wrong?" I wondered, leaning down slightly to press a lingering kiss on his cheek. He took a deep staggered breath and sniffled, shutting his eyes.

       "Are people here?" He asked in such a broken and cracked voice that I winced.

       "Um yeah but I can tell them to leave." I offered, completely sure of my decision before I saw Troye shake his head minisculely again.

       "Don't." He mumbled, but I could barely hear him. He opened his eyes but didn't look at me. "You guys have been planning this and we shouldn't just cancel it because I fucked up for nothing." I furrowed my eyebrows again, unsure of what to say but feeling completely hurt by his pain. 

       "Troye"--I began, but he just sat up and brushed me off, rubbing his eyes a little.

       "Tell them I'll be right out and I'm just freshening up from my nap." He said monotonously, once again averting his gaze from me before walking into the bathroom. I watched as he dabbed his eyes with a wet cloth and sighed before making my way back out to the living room. I put a smile on my face as everyone turned to acknowledge me.

       "He just woke up so he's getting ready quickly." I explained but inside my nerves were going crazy. I couldn't tell why he was upset, but it seemed like he though it was over something he did? I couldn't help but notice how he seemed to be avoiding me as best he could though. He wouldn't look at me and would tense at my touch. Did I do something? Finally after another minute or so, Troye came strolling out of the bedroom with a grin on his face as though nothing happened. 

       "Hey guys." He greeted, giving a hug to Korey and Sawyer (who he's met before) and then just greeting the others kindly. 

       "Let's get going." I suggested and we all headed out the door. I reached for Troye's hand but before my fingers could even graze his, he lifted it to rub the back of his neck as he followed the others out the door. I bit my lip, trying not to get hurt. He knew I was reaching for his hand, he was just upset about something. I had to remember that. I rubbed my arm with my hand and climbed into the van we were all sharing. Korey was driving and Sawyer sat next to him. Troye and I were in the two middle seats while Lily, Mitch, and Scott sat in the back. I turned slightly to Troye and he finally looked up at me. I just raised and eyebrow but once again he shook his head and looked away.