Feelings

Despite being nervous, Stevie was in pure agony that something terrible might happen when Brian and Maya arrived---she had a gut feeling something was going to go wrong.

"Honey, you really need to relax. Brian and Maya made it the hotel this morning and everything is okay," Lindsey whispered to her. "You don't want anybody to think something is actually wrong..."

"I know there's nothing wrong," she sighed. "Maybe I'm just anxious overall... It was a weird dream, you got to admit...?" she looked at him.

"I'm not gonna lie," he shook his head. "I do think it was odd, but given how traumatizing the ocean is to you, the fact that Brian is traveling to be here with us and that we're all going to be together as a sort of union for the first time, I blame nerves... Freya said despite all the therapy and everything else, she wouldn't have control of what you dream. Okay? I blame your nerves..."

She sighed. 

"Stevie, you thought you were a different person for a year... You're bound to have dreams about Samantha if she even looks like you, if that was your name... I don't blame you if you have dreams about Brian and or you're happy in a dream with him. It took me a while to come to terms with the fact that you had another man in your life, but now you've moved on and I'm not taking it personally because I know you love me. You know I love you. We never deceived one another and we've always worked through our problems. He's part of your past now... It's something we just have to live with."

"You always know just what to say, don't you?" she arched her brow. 

Smirking, "I want you to be happy today," he brought a hand to her side and he reeled her into himself. "Our families are together and the kids are so thrilled about spending Christmas with you this year because we didn't celebrate Christmas last year... Okay?"

She nodded.

He then leaned in and he pressed a kiss to the side of her face, letting her go so that he could cater to his mother and in-laws. 

"Mommy?" Sofia skipped on over. 

"Yes, my love?" she squatted down.

"Who's that?" she pointed at 15 year old Matthew.

She smirked, "That is my godson, Matthew..." she whispered. "Your mommy took care of him when he was a baby like you and sometimes he calls me mommy or auntie..."

"Oh, why you got two names?" she furrowed her brow. 

She giggled only because it was never set in stone what the boy should call her so she left it up to him and he would switch back and forth from calling her mom or auntie. "I dunno, baby... You know, mommy doesn't know every single thing in the world?" she chuckled. 

"Oh, well,  do you know is my daddy coming yet?" she tilted her head to the side. 

"Yes, baby," she nodded. "Auntie Maya and your daddy are on their way here as we speak," she assured, lifting her to settle her on her hip and from there, she toted the three year old along to chit-chat like she normally would have.

...

When Brian and Maya arrived, they were a little weary only because besides their kids, it was a whole lot of family they didn't know and they wanted to make a good impression even if things were left unsaid. 

The person closest to the front door opened it when the siblings knocked. 

"Hey, can I help you?" Kim asked, grinning at the woman as  he cradled a bottle of beer in his hand, but the he looked at the man.

"Uh, is Stevie here?" Brian wondered.

"Hi, I'm Maya... This is my brother, Brian..." the woman furthered her brother's question.