Witnessing The Love

Iraniyan opened his eyes after a long struggle. His body felt heavy and weak. He tried to wiggle his tail but soon he felt sand on his tail. The bright sun blinded his sight for a few seconds and when the picture came clear, he understood that he was beached. He was so confused as to how he came to the shore when he was sinking in the sea. He slowly moved his arms and propped up with his elbows on the sand. Theeya was sitting more closer to the water, letting the water play with her feet. Her thick braid covering her back was dripping water. He could see the side of her beautiful face. 

“Why did you save me?” He asked her. He never expected to see her. 

“You know I cannot let you die. I love you, Iraniyan.”

“Shut up. You are the reason I am here like this.” Iraniyan hissed.

“That is not true. Maya was the reason you are here like this. It is because her love is not so strong. She didn’t believe you. She didn’t trust the love you two had. It is not fair to blame me.” Theeya said nonchalantly.

“You made her doubt our love,” Iraniyan said but this time his voice was not angry or loud. He knew what she said was true. Theeya turned to face him.

“You are growing weak, the other part of you is not here any more.” She told him with tons of sorrow in her eyes. He could not face her. He could not face the love her eyes show for him. As usual, the natural pity kicked in and his arms raised without his consent to caress her cheek.

“What do you mean Adhiyan is not here anymore?”

“He is not here. But don't worry, your curse will be broken and you will be reunited with your soul.”

“But how?”

“Kill me!” She said looking straight into his eyes, trying to convey her love for him.  

“Stop controlling me.” He said angrily but his hand was still stroking her cheek. 

“This natural feeling you have towards me is called love, Iraniyan. A love that blossomed between us thousands of years ago. You may forget everything when you are reborn somewhere far away! But the truth will never change and I will never stop pursuing you. You are mine. I will gladly die for you.”

“Stop it. Shut up.” He pushed her away but she stayed the same and he fell back. He realized that he was very weak. “Where is Adhiyan? What happened to him?” He asked her.

“Adhiyan is no more. That is why you are growing weak.” She said, helping him to sit back. His ugly slimy appearance never bothered her. She didn’t flinch a second before touching him. The love in her eyes never wavered. 

“No! No no! This can’t be true. How did it happen? He had high purposes. How can he die? I have been waiting for him for a thousand long years and now I have no time. I have to break this curse on my people. I cannot fail my people again.” Iraniyan held his head with his hands in depression. 

“Kill me!” She said again.

“You very well know I cannot do that!” He said with a scornful voice.

Theeya saw a sharp conch shell that was laying near her feet. She picked it up and cut her arm with the sharp end of it and gathered the blood oozing out of it in the same shell. She gave the shell filled with her blood to Iraniyan. 

“Here, go find Netra and give it to her. She can break the curse.” She gave it to him with a bitter smile.

“But the curse was given by Maya.”

“Netra is the answer to all. She can break the curse and free your people. You can finally join the remainder of your soul.” Theeya told him.

“I am sorry!” Iraniyan said with a voice laced with guilt.