Chapt. 80: Where Were You?

"Alright. We're going to look for Tobi guy. Your mission is simple. You probably know more about him than I do due to your recent mission. But, if anything happens, I want you to contact me by using your mic. Do you understand?" Kakashi explains to Kurami as the two of them stand at the Leaf Village gate.

Days before, Sakura and Sai went to join Naruto on their journey to find and bring back Sasuke. Now, it was Kakashi and Kurami's turn to go on a mission of their own. If something were to go on, the members of squad 7 will regroup at a rendezvous point.

"You probably know where the Akatsuki hideouts are, so it's most likely this Tobi person can at any one of the hideouts... Kurami... Please be careful this time on your mission. I...don't want to lose you. Understand?"

"Understood." Kurami nodded her head before giving him a light, soft smile.

"Be safe, Kurami. I'll be right behind you." 

Nodding her head again, Kurami used her shadows to transport herself somewhere near one of the Akatsuki hideouts. When she got there, the hideout seemed empty. But the hideout she came to was different from the others. It was like warehouse but still inside a cave. It had stairs, a small shrine, and rooms.

'I remember this place...' She recalled in her thoughts. The same hideout that Tobi took her too when became sick, and Team Taka was present when this happened. But as of now, the hideout was empty. 'Nobody's here... Where is everyone? Where are the other members?'

Kurami searched high and low all over the place to find the hideout still open. Kurami sighed to herself, giving up on her search, before exiting the hideout. Then, she was on her way to the next hideout.

During her journey, she got the sense that she was being followed. But she didn't bother to look behind her. Instead, Walrider reached out from Kurami's back and attacked the person to whoever was following her. But, in a swift movement, the person was in front of Kurami.

"We meet again, Kurami." Tobi said from behind his mask. Kurami didn't seem surprised from the expression on her face that showed bluntly. "What are you doing all the way out here? And all by yourself." He sounded a bit concerned and worried. "You seem...better from the last time I saw you."

"....Who are you?" She asked him. "You're the only person I can't recall from my memory. You...know me and seem to know about me. But there isn't one thing I can recall about you. Why is that?"

"I'm not a stalker if that's what you take me as, Kurami."

"I didn't say that." Kurami began to glare. "Who are you?" She asked again before taking out the necklace from her pocket. "You gave me this as a gift. But it meant something more, didn't it? Why? Why did you give me this? Why did you protect me all those times I was with you? Why did it seem... Why did it seem like you were the only one who understood what was going on!?"

Kurami shouted at him with her eyes burning with desperation and somewhat anger. She wanted answers now. She didn't want to wait anymore. She only wanted the truth. She didn't want to be left in the dark anymore.

"Oh, Kurami..." Tobi sighs. "You still haven't figured it out." In a swift movement, Tobi was now in front of Kurami with his sharingan revealing through the hole of his mask. "Think long and hard through your memories."

"I can't." She said, her expression blunt and dead. She's gotten use to his quick movements. "I can't remember you, Tobi."

"That isn't  my real name, Kurami." He tells her.

"Then what is your real name?" She asks.

"Madara." He says.

"....You're lying." Kurami glared. "What is your real name?"

"What makes you think I'm lying?"

"The look in your eye... You're using somebody else's name to protect your own. As if you don't want somebody in particular to know who you really are."

Tobi grunts at this and slowly wrapped his hand around her throat, but didn't squeeze it. With this, Kurami slowly closed her eyes and waited for his next move. But the two of them stood in silence.

"Obito."

Kurami slowly opened her eyes. "Obito?" She repeated the name. "Obito...Uchiha? Because of your sharingan eye. You're from the Uchiha Clan?"

"Was." He corrected. "Listen well, Kurami... You honestly do not remember me at all, do you?"

"I do not." She shook her head. "So I will ask again. How do you know me, when I can't recall anything about you?"

"Hmm... Consider me as... Your guardian angel."

"Guardian angel? You've been watching me this whole time?" When she asked this, Obito did not answer. It gave her the hint that he's been watching her this whole time. "You have...haven't you?" Her eyes slowly widened. "The whole time... You've been here this whole time, but didn't bother to say anything!?"

"It was complicated... To stay hidden in the shadows while keeping an eye on you, while working on something that will finally change this world. The times I would have killed those who have done you wrong and made you end your own life."

"You're one of them. You did nothing and let them torment me! If you were there, why didn't you stop them!?"

"I said it was complicated."

"I died because of them. I died for them so that they can live their lives without me! Where were you when I needed you!? When I was suffering, why didn't you show up or take me away from that awful village that I called a home!? Why did you stand there and let me go through all of that...? You're just like them! You're-"

"Hush now." Obito hugged her tightly in his arms, having her head rest on his shoulder. "You're going to drain yourself again if you cry right now. Take in a deep breath, Kurami. Breathe slowly..." He soothed her

Kurami was at the verge of crying as un-wanting tears began to spill down her cheeks. She gritted her teeth tightly together to prevent the sobs from being her. With Obito's hand on the top of her head, she calmed herself down.

"Where were you...this whole time?..."

"I'm sorry, Kurami. I know I should have done something when I saw it all happening. My apologies isn't enough for you to release the hatred you have in your heart."

"It's not..." She muttered. 'But his warm hands...his gentle hold... His calming voice... Everything was all I ever needed from the beginning... Comfort.'

"Come with me, and I will show you what I have in store for the future. Understand?"

"Yes..." Kurami nodded and Obito picked her up, holding her bridal style, and began to walk off. In his arms, she had closed her eyes and rested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~