10-Showcase

February 3rd, 2024
The Hudson Theatre
Los Angeles, CA 5:45pm-Akeylah POV
.
.
.
Backstage was bustling as people were rehearsing, doing hair and makeup, or just talking in general. After a month of promoting, weeding through acts because SO many people signed up, we were finally doing the showcase. This time around, I didn't have to worry about focusing so hard on trying to spot out someone with that "it" factor I want because I finally hired an A&R last month as well. Trinity Truscott was one of the BEST A&R's in the game right now. She had just left a major label and I was able to convince her to join little ole me and my team. She has an amazing eye for talent so tonight, I'm trusting her to lead me in the right direction.

Trinity: (chuckles) I don't know Key. It looks like we have some pretty good prospects here.

Akeylah: I sure hope so. I weeded through so many entries in the past month. I just hope I narrowed down the good ones.

Trinity: How many acts are there tonight?

Akeylah: (looks at the roster) Just about 15. Along with myself and Mysti.

Trinity: That's not too bad of an number. I'm sure there's at least 9 people here that we can work with.

Akeylah: (laughs) Let's not jinx it.

Zola: Key. The sponsored radio stations are here.

Akeylah: Oh cool. I'll catch up with you later Trin.

Trinity: Alright.

I followed Zola out into the lobby the building and sure enough there was a crowd of people outside waiting to get in but it wasn't time yet. I did my interviews and then went back to the stage area to do soundchecks and make sure that everything would be nice and clear for the night.

After doing all of that, the time was 6:50pm. I went backstage and everyone looked as if they were going to be sick. I had everyone huddle around me so that they could hear me better.

Akeylah: Okay everyone, we are on in 10 minutes. I just want to say thank you to each and every one of you for even wanting to do this tonight. For even being brave enough to do this. I just want you all to go out there and do your best but most importantly have fun! It doesn't matter what may happen. The important thing is that you were willing to take the first step and put yourself out there. Now you're gonna go out there, do the damn thang and show everyone what you can do! Talk yo shit, sing yo shit, play yo shit! You all got this and I believe in you all!

Everyone clapped and cheered after I finished my little encouragement speech to them. I weaved my way through them all until I found Mysti. She had her airpods in, bopping her head. I tapped her shoulder and she looked up while taking one pod out.

Akeylah: How you feeling? You ready?

Mystique: I'm more than ready. I'm listening to the song now just to further stick it into my brain. (giggles)

Akeylah: You missed the speech I made to everyone else so I just came over tell you personally that you are going to be great out there. Just think of it as a more serious rehearsal.

Mystique: Got it.

I started to walk away when she grabbed my arm.

Akeylah: Yeah?

She got up and gave me a hug. I didn't even bother to question it and just hugged back.

Mystique: Thank you. For everything you've done for me so far. You're like the big sister I've never had. Always looking out for me.