The Monday After

Tonz tried calling Cie Cie over the weekend. But she wasn't answering or her phone is out of reach.

He couldn't help but feel bad. He wasn't used to her cold treatment, or two whole days of not receiving even a single message from her. He's worried that he has offended her. He decided to talk to her on Monday.

Monday, he woke up early and drove to school. He bought coffee and croissant. He knew that she's early today because of a presentation.

He checked their room, she's there sitting, reviewing some notes. Her other classmates are minding their own business, so he opened the door and let himself in. He murmured a good morning and headed straight to her. Since she's still reading, she hasn't noticed that he's beside her. He placed the bag of goodies in her desk, she was startled.

"Thanks." was all she muttered.

"Jacinda..."

"Mr. Gamboa, I have a report today."

"I know. But can we please talk later?"

Some of her classmates were pretending not to eavesdrop, but they can definitely feel the tension, so they lowered their voices.

"I... I don't know..."

"Please, I just want to know what's going on."

"Martinez, kausapin mo muna yang kaibigan mo sa labas. We can't concentrate on our presentation pag may mga nagl-LQ." Richie aka Richmond Flores, their class president said.

Tonz mouthed a thanks, Richie smiled and winked at him.

Cie Cie looked daggers at him before standing up and leaving the classroom.

They went to the empty staircase. She's not even looking at him.

"Jacinda, do we have a problem? Na-offend ba kita?"

"Tonz, salamat sa food. Balik na ako sa room."

"Cie Cie naman, bakit ang cold mo ngayon?"

"You don't have an idea?"

"Wala, kasi if I have, mag a-apologize na ako sayo."

"Men..." she said while rolling her eyes.

"What?"

"Last Saturday, I heard you and your friends..."