Begin Again

"... I missed you." Tonz said.

She retrieved her hand. She looked at him.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this." she stood up and left.

Tonz placed his payment on the table and followed her. She's already crossing the street when a loud beep erupted. Tonz grabbed her hand, turned her to him and hugged her. He lead her to the sidewalk. The cars passed on Quezon drive. The kuya guard checked on them.

"Ayos lang kayo? Oi kayo yung sa carpark di ba?" Kuya guard asked.

"Opo kuya, nagulat lang kami."

"Ingat kayo, ingatan mo yang girlfriend mo. Loko din yung driver, alam ng school zone. Sige, i-radyo ko muna."

"Hey, are you OK?" Tonz asked.

"I'm, I'm not ok..." tears ran freely in her eyes.

"Shhh, it's ok, it's ok. I'm here. Let's walk, it will calm you down."

They proceeded to the Lover's Lane. They sat in one of the benches. The leaves are rustling and there are only a handful of people walking.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I overwhelmed you. I won't push the topic na. But please, let me feel what I feel. Just let me be."

"I'm confused Tonz. We shouldn't even be discussing this."

"Yeah, I know, we have so much going on. But we're humans Jacinda. We have feelings. They can't invalidate what we feel."

"We have clause number 3, Tonz! We signed that contract. And we're just starting our careers."

"But I'm starting to like you Cie Cie!"

"Please, for our friendship's sake, don't."

Tonz looked at her. Eyes glassy, he's trying so hard to conceal his burning feelings.

"Is this what you want?"

"Yes..."

"Is this what you really, really want?"

"I... I... yes..."

"There's no turning back Jacinda. If this what you want, let's start over again."

"What do you mean?"

"Forget everything I've said. I'm choosing our friendship too."

"Thank you, and I'm sorry..."

"Yeah, I guess I'm feeling confused too. But I can't lose you, I'll settle for what we have right now."

"Me too, I don't want to lose our friendship, I hate being awkward around you."

"Let's begin again. Hi, I am Tonz, and I'm your loveteam."

"You're being silly Tonz Gamboa."

"Let's go na, we have a meeting pa."

"Yeah. Wait, we're still wearing uniforms."

"Carpark."

"Nope, not gonna do it."

"Sa Qpav na lng. They have big restrooms."

"OK."

Once inside his car, he gave her three boxes of napoleones. She smiled genuinely, the first one today. He missed that, but he has to keep these things to himself, otherwise, he will drive her away.