Nearly There But Not Quite

Caleruega Church, also known as the Transfiguration chapel, is a favorite wedding and retreat destination. This is where the graduating class of Arts and Letters were supposed to hold their senior's retreat. Since their schedule can't accommodate this, Tonz promised that he will bring her here.

Her eyes sparkled, she was in pure bliss. Being this close to nature and God filled her with peace. The chapel is closed, but she appreciate Tonz's gesture. It was a long flight of stairs, but they eventually made it to the top. It was really a good vantage point, being up on a hill. It was kinda breezy, he wrapped her in his jacket, she thanked him and smiled.

Everything seems peaceful, both take in the view, the moment. Tonz, looked at her, eyes closed, as if saying a silent prayer. He want to remember the Jacinda that he's with today, serene and contented. He pulled a blue box from his pocket and he whispered her name.

"Jacinda..."

She opened her eyes, he dropped on one knee, the ring box opened by his right hand.

"Jacinda Beatriz Martinez, I love you. I don't know when it started, I just know in my heart that I love you and I promise to love you forever. I'm giving you this ring as a sign of my commitment to you. I'll wait for the day that we can freely tell the whole world about us."

Tears poured her beautiful face. She felt a lump in her throat, she didn't know how to react. He loves her! And, he's willing to wait!!!

"Tonz, get up na."

"Are you mad Cie Cie?"

"I'm not mad, silly. I just don't know how to react."

"I love you my Jacinda. Please, just let me love you." he said, while brushing the tears from her eyes."

"Its just so sudden Tonz. I thought you want us to get to know each other better."

"My heart knows you, and that's enough for me. And if you can't accept me yet, or you're not feeling the same way, just tell me." he held her hands, his sad gaze piercing her soul.

"Let's not rush things Tonz, but I'm not closing any doors. To be honest, you're very special to me. I'm nearly there but not quite. So if you're willing to wait, like you've said earlier, please do."

"That's enough reassurance for me. Thank you, I thought you'll reject me outright." he joked.

"Fishing ka na naman."

"Please keep this ring, it's actually my birthday gift for you. You can wear it if you have decided to take me. But for now, I'll just wear my ring, so that you'll always remember my promise."

"Thank you for understanding Tonz. I know we have so much ahead of us, but as long as you're here with me, we can conquer anything." she said sincerely.

"Can I hug you?"

She nodded her head. He held her ever so gently in his arms. He whispered in her ears, "Mahal kita, palangga ta gid ka,
te amo mi Jacinda."

"Me gustas mi Tonito."