Of Family And Traditions

It is a tradition in the Gamboa household to attend the Misa de Gallo at Jaro Cathedral every Christmas Eve. The Noche Buena, which comprises of traditional Filipino recipes, will be enjoyed by the family, relatives and some friends after the mass.

Since his sister woke him up, Tonz went downstairs for breakfast. But the kitchen was like a battlefield, pots boiling, knives chopping, the laughter of the ladies cooking ang gossiping fills the air.

His mom saw him looking lost. She smiled before she gave him a pinch on the cheek.

"Maayong adlaw senorito! Come, let's get you some breakfast."

She led him to the counter, he poured him a cup of tsokolate, and pushed a plate of ensaymada and Silvanas infront of him.

"Mag mano to your aunties first."

He gulped a tsokolate first, then greeted his aunties (sisters of both of his parents). They were all telling him that they're proud of him, some were asking him about his loveteam. His auntie Irene, his mother's eldest sibling commented, "Tonito, that loveteam of yours is very pretty. I also heard that she came from a very influential family."

Auntie Alicia, his dad's younger sibling also said, "Yes manang Irene, the Ortegas of the North are an old rich family and they still control much of the provinces there. I remember Aly, my youngest, has a classmate who is an Ortega, naku, comes to school in a helicopter to avoid being late."

"Seryoso? Why did she enter showbiz if she's already rich?" Auntie Ida commented.

"Maybe she's like her mother, Helena Ortega, passionate in acting. I've seen her perform in Broadway, and she really gave me the goosebumps, her portrayal of Fantine is really exceptional." his aunt Anne said.

"Pero Tonito, just focus on work muna, saka na yung love. Mahirap pagsabayin yan." aunt Ida advised.

His other aunts nodded their heads in unison. He thank them and bid them goodbye. He brought his food in the garden. What his aunts said really hit him. Yes, he wants to feel like he's special to her, but those revelations about her wealth only said one thing, she gave him that Montblanc Starwalker pen, because she can afford it. Nothing more, nothing less.