Chapter 46

Tony's POV

I walked out as I saw Izetta leave. Steve sighed beside me as she left. I turned to him, wondering what just happened. I was also wondering where Izz was going. I didn't want her to go too far. I knew that this probably was the safest space for her right now, but I still didn't like her going off on her own at times like this. 

"What was that?" I asked.

"She needs some time to think, I guess. It seems to be about her mystery man. I'd leave her be," Steve told me. I grumbled a little.

"Didn't even have her head touched up and yet she's still just as bad as the rest of us. She's put up walls and I don't like it. I used to be able to tell everything that kid was feeling."

"Well, she's not a kid anymore, Stark." I looked over at him. "I think you need to let her be what she is." 

"...I don't know what she is anymore," I replied. "And that bothers the hell outta me."

"Well, you're still her father. I'm sure you'll find out in time. You did before, after all." He headed off to change out of his suit and I sighed as I was left standing alone. I decided to split some logs since it was a job that needed to be done. It wasn't terribly long before Rogers joined me in that activity.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" I asked.

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kinda hoping Thor would be the exception."

"Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him." He split another one as we kept talking.

"Earth's mightiest heroes...pulled us apart like cotton candy." 

"Seems like you walked away alright." He paused, looking a little confused.

"Is that a problem?" 

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side." I split another log. "Call me old-fashioned."

"Well, let's just say you haven't seen it yet." 

"You know Ultron's trying to tear us apart, right?"

"Well, I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question." He chopped another one as I stopped for a minute.

"Banner and I were doing research!"

"That would affect the team."

"That would end the team!" I argued. "Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the 'why we fight'? So we can end the fight? So we get to go home?" He split one using his bare hands. I was a little startled.

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die." I paused. "Every time." I wanted to say something, but Laura came over to us.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, um, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but our tractor doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought maybe you might-"

"Yeah, I'll give her a kick," I replied. I began to head off toward the barn. "Don't take from my pile!" I told Rogers as I left.

I walked into the barn and saw an old John Deere waiting there for me. Deciding not to miss my chance (even if it was only for a party of one), I cracked a joke.

"Hello, Deere." I honestly liked that one. "Tell me everything. What ails you?" I began to fiddle around when I suddenly heard a voice.

"Do me a favor," I turned, annoyed yet not as surprised as I thought I was going to be. "try not to bring it to life." I chuckled a little as Fury showed himself.