Chapter 9

Tony's POV

"What are you doing, Mr. Stark?"

"Uh, kinda been wondering the same thing about you," I replied as Fury came waltzing in.

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract."

"We are," Banner stated. "The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile." 

"Yeah, then you get your Cube back. No muss, no fuss." I saw information pop up on my screen. "What is Phase 2?" I asked as Rogers suddenly set a large gun down on the table.

"Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the Cube to make weapons. Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me." I looked at the screen again as Fury started to 'explain'.

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean-"

"I'm sorry, Nick." I cut in, showing a nuclear weapon plan on my screen. "What? Were you lying?" I asked.

"I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Rogers stated as Romanoff and Thor came in. She looked around.

"Where's Izetta?"

"Thought you sent her to her room," I replied.

"No, I asked her to come here, did you see her?"

"No. Why?" Something new popped up on the screen. I stopped. "...Why the hell is she labeled with this?" Plans of powerful weapons suddenly came up along with a detailed scan and description of her crystal's energy. "I told you to scrap this shit. I said she would not be involved with S.H.I.E.L.D.! She is under my protection!" 

"We did scrap it! We simply kept the files as an emergency last resort!" Fury argued.

"To take Izetta's life force and use it as your personal special form of gun powder!?"

"Did you know about this?" Banner asked Romanoff. 

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" He chuckled.

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki is manipulating you." 

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy," He stated. "I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction while keeping a child's life force as their backup option." 

"...Because of him." Fury said, pointing to Thor.

"...Me?"

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we now for certain not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned."

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor insisted.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled."

"Like you controlled the Cube?" Rogers countered. 

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor added.