One Hundred and Eight

I heard people talking as they neared and I snapped my fingers, pointing to C/N's long coat that touched the floor. "Hand it over." I demanded. Slowly, he peeled off his coat and tossed it to me. I caught it mid air and slung it on, trading sword hands temporarily. I used the secret hood it had and flipped it over my head. The people walked by and were gone.

"Say your story is true. How do I know it is? Make me believe you and I might not toss your body in the Hudson." I said daringly. His face lit up with hope.

It was quickly replaced with fear.

He opened his mouth then closed it, no doubt choosing his next words wisely.

His pleading eyes met mine as he took a deep breath. "Erm, well, I-I also have scars. From them." He said, eyes looking to the ground. Also. He knew they dug that knife deep enough into my skin to scar me.

He carefully and shakily lifted his sleeves, revealing thin and pale lines on his forearms. Not nearly as much as I had, but still very torturous.

I refused to look at my own scars as I lowered the sword a bit. "How do I know they aren't self inflicted?" I said, chin up accusingly.

Shock filled his eyes, but it was quickly washed away to neutrality. Smart move.

"I'll give you, your father, and General Washington the fake routes and plans I gave the British so they can ambush them. I'll give you all of them."

I blinked in surprise. It would take some time for the information to be proven true, but we could hide him away until then. "Fine."

He gave me a bright smile. I looked around and found some rope. "Come here."

He walked over and I reached around his waist. He raised a curious and deviant eyebrow at me and I scoffed. I unhook his sword belt and wrapped it around my waist, sheathing the sword. I grabbed the rope and tied his hands together with a unique knot Harry taught me. I tied him to a post and said, "Stay."

He frowned at me but didn't argue. I hid myself in my cloak before heading back inside.

I rushed over to my father and whispered for him to follow me. I grabbed him, Washington, Harry, and Captain Jacob—who I ran into on accident—and had them follow me outside.

"What's this about, Y/N?" Captain asked. "Yeah. And why do you have that hood on?" Father asked worriedly. I ignored them and headed into the alley.

"No swords." I said before we reached C/N. He guiltily faced us and the men shoved me behind them. Ugh!

"You have a lot of nerve showing up here!" Father shouted. "Guys." I said. When I stepped forward, they shoved me back. C/N glared at Harry.

"What did you do? Hit her? Hurt her again? Threaten her?" Harry snapped. "Guys!" I said a bit louder. I got no response.

"If you touched her, we will all kill you." Washington warned. "Guys!" I shouted, shoving forward. They all quieted as I faced them, my back to C/N.

"He didn't hurt me. He actually gave me the sword and let me hold him at sword point." I explained. They all made faces of confusion.

I rolled my eyes and gestured to C/N's bonds. "Who do you think tied him up?" I asked. They looked away in shame.

"Anyways, C/N has an explanation. I don't want to hear any nonsense or words. I want you to listen, if you can manage that." They all shot me a sharp look, which I fought with a glare. I won.

I looked to C/N. "Go ahead. Let them hear your story."

* *

After C/N finished his explanation, I pulled the men aside. "So?" I asked, arms crossed in indecisiveness. They looked at each other, then C/N, then me.

Washington was the one to speak up first. "I don't know, Y/N. He could be lying." Oh wow, really? I never thought of that! I wanted to speak my thoughts, but tightened my jaw and forced my thoughts to silence.

"Maybe we can hide him somewhere, for now. Till his information is proven true or false." I offered. They all nodded. "A captain's way of thinking." Captain complimented.

I gave him a small smile and we all faced C/N. I stepped forward to him and removed the cloak from around me, placing it over his shoulders and the hood over his head.

"We'll keep you hidden until you prove yourself. On our way to the destination, you don't speak a word. Understood?" I tried using my most authoritative voice at this moment, it currently being my only ally. He nodded once and I untied him from the post.

I walked over to father and handed him the rope tied to C/N's hands. "Act like he's a slave. I don't deal with slaves, so I can't lead him." I said, unbuckling the sword from my hip. I handed it to Harry.

"Watch over this for me. People don't really like seeing a woman with a weapon." I said in a false sweet voice. He chuckled and tied the belt to his waist. I gave him a friendly wink, if not only to infuriate C/N.

"Alright. I have just the place for him."