Sixty-One

It's been an entire four days since I said I was leaving. Today is the day. I have tied loose ends with Levi and Isabella, explaining that I'll be away for a month. As for C/N's father, I plan to tell him the truth.

"Mr.C/L/N?" I asked as I opened the door. "Oh, hello Y/N." The man said as he hobbled to me. I walked inside with a smile. "What do you need?" He asked kindly, having us sit. I sighed and smoothed my skirts. "Erm, I'm planning on something big." I said softly.

His face turned grave. "Does this has anything to do with the bag you have on the side of my house?" He asked, tone solid. How did he know? After this visit, I was going to meet my siblings at the edge of town before leaving. I was wearing men clothes under my skirts.

I blinked. "Oh erm, yes." I admitted. He stiffened. "I plan to run away to see Y/N, keep him safe." I explained.

I already told Mr.C/L/N about the threat. C/N was weak and alone. I needed to be there.

He sighed and shook his head. "This is dangerous Y/N." He said quietly, getting up. "I know," I said as I watched him approach a drawer. "But I have to. I also promised Elizabeth that I will be home with Alexander, since I will most likely pass him on my way back." I explained.

I heard the drawer open and Mr.C/L/N pull out a box the size of my palm. He heaved a sigh before walking to me.

"I know there is no stopping you. God knows I would go with you if I could make the journey." He said, both of us huffing a laugh. He shakily handed me the small box. "Here. C/N was planning on giving it to you." He said quietly.

I hesitantly took the box, looking at Mr.C/L/N as I opened it. I gasped.

A small silver band shone up at me. Two, one larger than the other. Each was inscribed on the inside. The larger one was Hello, I am- and the smaller one is You are?

I put a hand over my heart and felt a tear fall. I looked at Mr.C/L/N, who was giving me a sad smile. "Give him my best." He said, kissing my cheeks. I nodded and hugged him. "I promise." I whispered. He let go and I left. I snatched up my bag and went to change.

                                         * *

After changing into John's clothes, I put on a man's hat to hide my hair. I slipped on my wedding ring before setting out to my my siblings.

I walked through town, head down. I didn't want anyone seeing my face because it was still feminine.

"Hey handsome." Someone cooed. I glanced up to find a blonde girl looking me over. I gave a nervous laugh before walking faster. Oh sweet Jesus. "Hey! Slow down!" A man scolded. I took a sharp breath but didn't slow.

Being a man is so strange, how people treat you compared to how they treat women. I turned a corner and reached the docks. I found my siblings standing there, mother no where in sight. Good?

I walked up to them and they made way for me to pass through. "Sorry sir." Angelica said sadly. I laughed sadly and looked up. They all gasped. "Y/N?!" They shouted, hugging me. I staggered back and laughed.

When we let go, Catharine looked up at me. "Why are you dressed as a boy?" She asked. I sighed and crouched. "I have to leave for a month. I'll be back. Being dressed as a boy is a just-in-case." I explained so her and Cornelia could understand.

They nodded and I stood. I faced Angelica. "You don't have to go." She said, voice breaking. I shook my head, tears threatening as I hugged her. She let out a single sob and I felt tears fall onto my tunic. "I'll be alright, I swear." I whispered. She let go and I faced Elizabeth.

"Don't." She said when I went to hug her. I paused, remembering that I did this to father when he left. "Just promise you will come back." I nodded and she wiped her tears, motioning me to move on.

I turned to face Margarita. "Hey Peggy." I said as she started balling. I kissed her cheeks and she wiped her tears. "You're mad you know?" She asked. I chuckled lightly and nodded. "I know."

I turned to John, who had his arms folded around him. "Don't go. Please." He begged quietly. My heart shattered. "I-I don't know what I'll do without you." He sniffled. "Oh Johnny." I said, embracing him. He cried into my shoulder and I let him. "I'll be back before you know it." I said softly. He nodded and let go.

I faced Jeremiah, who was swatting away a fly. "I know, I know." He said, voice weak. "You'll be back, you love me." I laughed and nodded. "And don't fight with Ren." He nodded and wiped away his tears. I faced my final brother.

"What about mother? And the wedding?" He asked worriedly. I shook my head. "I wrote mother a letter that's in the study. She will find out." He nodded. I kissed his forehead and faced my youngest sisters.

"When will you be back?" Cornelia chimed, not understanding the situation. "Soon." She raised her eyebrows. "Before the wedding?" I shrugged. "Maybe." She nodded and I kissed their cheeks. I bent down and slugged my bag over my shoulder.

I faced my brave siblings. "Be back in one piece." Angelica said half heartedly. I smiled and nodded. The boat horn blared and I stepped back. "I love you!" I shouted. "Love you too!" They said in unison. I turned around and ran for the boat. I hopped on, barely keeping on my feet. I looked ahead, worried that if I looked back, I wouldn't leave.

Here we go.