Twenty-One

I put the letter in the envelope, but didn't grab the family seal. Instead, I ran up to my room and went into one of my drawers. It had a few important things inside; the letter I got from Princeton, my first letter from C/N, my first shilling, and my own personal seal. I got it when I turned fifteen. It has Y/F/A (Your Favorite animal) on it, with delicate lace designs around it.

I snatched the seal and ran back downstairs. I chose rose red wax, since that was the color dress I was wearing when we met, and dropped it on the paper. I quickly stamped my personal seal and lifted it. I kissed the wax lightly for good luck and set it on the table beside the front door.

I sighed and brushed back some hair over my shoulder. I turned back to my overjoyed family. "I'm going to bed early tonight." I said as I walked towards them. Angelica gave me a worried look. I kissed mother's cheek. "Goodnight."

I walked to Elizabeth and kissed her cheek. "Congratulations. Goodnight." I walked to Angelica and kissed her cheek as well. "I'll be fine, like you said. Goodnight." She gave me a sad smile. I walked to Margarita and Cornelia, kissing their cheeks. "Goodnight both of you." I said. I knelt down by Catharine, kissing her cheek. "Goodnight Caty." I said as she yawned. I walked to John and kissed his forehead. "Goodnight." I said. Rensselaer and Jeremiah were still arguing. I scoffed and separated them. "Listen. Elizabeth is now engaged. Stop with the arguing for tonight. Enjoy being related, okay?" I said. They grumbled their agreements. I kissed both of their foreheads. "Goodnight." I said. I walked upstairs and into my room.

I shut my door and changed into my nightgown. Alana was already done with my laundry! I didn't even see it hanging outside to dry! I chuckled tiredly and shook my head. I walked to my bed and got comfortable. I lit the candle beside my bed and grabbed Common Sense by Thomas Paine, which was a book that aided and abetted the Revolution.

I flipped to the page I was on, page 10, and started reading. I read aloud to the triplets mother gave birth to that died within the year they were born. I opened my mouth to read when there was a knock at my door. I shut the door and hid it, blowing the candle out. "Come in!" I said loudly.

The door opened and Elizabeth walked in. I wasn't expecting her. I sat up and she sat beside me. "What are you and Angelica hiding?" She asked, startling me. "Oh, erm, nothing." I lied. She glared at me, ever so slightly. "Y/N, I know when you are lying." She insisted.

I sighed. She could be talking about the bar or the letters. I decided to throw myself under the horse instead of her love. It's what sisters do. "Well, I went to the bar." I started. It was her turn to be startled. "I was celebrating the victory father lead. I got a bit drunk with a friend of mine, George Washington's son. We didn't do anything, just talk. C/N found us and kinda bolted. I sobered up and ran after him. Angelica smelt the alcohol on me when I got home. I have yet to explain to C/N because he won't let me. That's our secret."

She exhaled and I nodded. "I'm never drinking again." I muttered, getting a laugh out of her. I sat up in my bed and smiled at her. "I'm so happy for you." I said as I took her hand in mine. Look at her.

My powerful elder sister. Gentle to everyone and anyone, yet strong about her beliefs. And now she is going to get married to Alexander Hamilton. Oh dear god above I can only hope he treats her right.

She kissed my cheek and stood. "Goodnight
Y/N." She said as she walked for the door. "Goodnight Elizabeth." I said just before she left.

I swear on everything I hold dear, if Alexander treats her even remotely wrong, he will pay. I will personally see to it that he gets his fit.