Sixty-Seven

I turned the boat to a sharp left, the men and cannons sliding. We were right beside the patriot fleet now.

"Jacob! Get over here!" I shouted. The captain ran up and took the ship's wheel from me. I ran to the edge of the bow. "General Washington! Alexander! Monsieur Lafayette!" I shouted.

The men whirled to me. "Y/N?!" They shouted in unison. I gave a small wave. "I'll explain after you save our behinds from that British fleet!" I shouted, pointing behind us. Alexander stared at me in bewilderment. "Get me on your ship now." I snapped.

"What is she doing, ordering around the top Patriot troops like that?" I heard some crew mates muttered. I whirled to them, hair flying.

"General Washington is a family friend. Alexander is going to be my brother-in-law. Monsieur Lafayette is a friend." I explained.

"Y/F/N Schuyler!!! What on earth do you think you are doing?!" I froze, turning slowly. Father was staring me down. I chuckled nervously. "Hi father. Sorry." I said meekly. A plank was lowered, connecting the ships.

I frowned and ran to the board. "Careful!" Everyone shouted as I hobbled across. I shut my eyes and leapt. "Y/N!!" My feet hit the wood and I opened my eyes. I successfully made it!

I turned to everyone. Father was red with anger, Washington was looking back worriedly at the British fleet, Monsieur Lafayette was grinning like a fool, and Alexander was just staring at me. I took a deep breath and said, "Let me explain."

                                          * *

"And here I am!" I said, doing a small spin. "Are you insane?! Your mother must be worried sick!" Father shouted, walking for me. I stepped back, stumbling a bit.

"It's for her safety! I have multiple people watching over the family!" I countered as I hit the steps of the stern. I was cornered.

Father was standing before me, finger pointed at me and face now white with rage. "You are twenty Y/N!! This is absurd! You ran away from home in the middle of a war, stowed away on a ship, almost died for heaven's sake!" He shouted. I drew a shaky breath.

"Philip!" I heard Washington say in a demanding tone. My father didn't move. "Philip! We have other matters at hand! Worry about the girl later, will you!" Father gave me a long, solid glared before facing the General.

I sighed in relief and stood upright, straightening out my tunic. I faced my own crew. "Get ready boys, it's about time we get some real action." I said charmingly, covering my fear.

I jogged for the plank when a hand gripped my wrist. I turned to find Alexander dragging me back.

"Y/N, did you not get my letter?!" He hissed. I crossed my arms. "I did. But I didn't even open it before yesterday." I explained. He frowned. "Elizabeth is going to murder me." He muttered. I scoffed. "She is head over heels for you." I countered. His eyes lit up. "Try repaying the favor." I said, patting his shoulder before heading for my ship.

I sighed briefly before taking the ship's wheel from Jacob. He paused. "I'm sorry about your fath-" I held up my hand. "That won't help right now. And he's right." I said pitifully.

Jacob sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Ships will be upon us in five!" Someone shouted from the patriot ship. I looked up to Jacob, but he was already running to man a cannon.

"Raise the anchors!" General Washington and I shouted in unison. I gave him a proud look before focusing again. A gust of wind blew my hair in my face and I scowled. I knelt on a single knee, gripping the bottom of my trousers. I pulled, the fabric ripping.

I tugged and tugged until I had a long, thin strip of fabric. I put my arms back and tied up my hair. I sighed and looked to Jacob.

I had never fought in a battle! Let alone on water! I don't even know how I knew how to steer and command the bloody ship! His fierce auburn eyes, identical to his son's, met mine. I gave a small shake of my head. I can't do this.

He grimly race up the steps as the boats neared. "I can't do this." I said, exasperated. "I can't sail, command, or fight! I'm useless right now!"

He shook his head and gripped my shoulders. "You just saved us from a fleet. You navigated through rocky seas, to safety! That's quite some sailing, Y/N. And you commanded the ship amazing! You being an eldest child, I know you know how to command."

"And leave the fighting to us. From what my son has told me, and what I've seen these past few days, you can do this." I blinked, tears threatening. God in heaven, I hate being emotional like this!

I merely gave a tight nod and he lowered his hands. Before he could leave, I raced into his arms and hugged him.

Jacob stumbled back a few steps, but caught himself and quickly hugged back.

Father was outraged by my recent actions. Jacob...Jacob was proud, amazed even. It brought a small smile to my face as I let go. I took a small step back and gripped the ship's wheel.

"Ready Captain?" I heard Washington ask from the other ship. I faced him, determination on my face and in my mind. "Ready."