Thirty-Five

My breathing stopped as I involuntarily looked up. The man was wearing an evil grin that stretched ear to ear. "Leave now! I have the right!" Mother snapped at the soldiers. They left without a second word. Mother shut and locked the doors and I stood. Everyone came out from their hiding spots and rushed to me.

I finally started breathing again and inhaled sharply, exhaling slowly. "He knows who I am, he knows where I live, he knows that I didn't die in that bloody fire!" I panicked. What now?! What if they come after me! Or worse, my family! Will they seek revenge for the fire? Will they attack Alexander or father? Or even C/N?!

"Y/N, calm down. They still think you are an Eldara." Mother said soothingly. I looked into her eyes for comfort. Her deep brown eyes were calm, steady. I took in a shaky breath and nodded.

I looked to my family and Isabella. The boys were glaring at the doorway, Catharine and Cornelia were clutching to Elizabeth's skirts, Elizabeth was still playing with her ring, very worried. Isabella was playing with her ring as well, but her blue eyes darted from me to the door and back again. Margarita had her hands balled into fists, her undeniable wit taking over. Angelica was trying to calm the boys down.

I nodded again and brushed some H/C hair from my face. "You're right. I'm fine. I outlasted him once, I can outlast whatever happens next." I said more to myself than the crowd.

I smoothed out my skirts and sighed. "That's done with. How about we continue our song?" I asked nervously. They gave me skeptical looks but nodded.

                                     * *

After quickly forgetting the daunting visit from the Redcoats, we just danced to music. I looked over to mother, who was angrily reading the letter the Redcoats gave her. I looked to Elizabeth and beckoned her over. She, dancing with only the little girls, ran over.

"Can you take over? I have to talk with mother." I explained, nodding my head in mother's direction. She sat down and took the run from me. I gave her a thankful look before running to mother, grabbing my letters on the way.

I sat down beside her and she hid the letter. "Yes, Y/N?" She asked tightly. I sighed and handed her the letter that I was sure was identical to the one she received.

She read it over nervously, slowly putting a hand over her mouth in disbelief. "The audacity." She murmured. She dropped the letters in the table and sighed. "What has this world come to?"

I nodded and set my other letter face down. "Will the war ever end?" I asked quietly, looking at my hands that were in my lap. "Oh sweetie, yes of course!" She said, bringing her fingers to my chin to direct my gaze to her's.

"Will we be on the winning end?" I dared ask, immediately regretting it. Sadness flashed in mother's eyes, just for a moment, as she said, "We can only hope."

I nodded sadly and stood. "Should I send a refusal letter back or ignore them?" I asked. She handed me back my letters. "Best write. They'll come back." She advised. I gave her a single nod before heading upstairs. "Y/N! Where are you going?" I heard Rensselaer shout. I turned quickly, hiding the letters behind my back. "I'll be back in a few minutes, don't worry Ren." I said sweetly before entering my room.

I tossed the letters onto my bedsheets and sighed. I noticed a fourth letter and frowned. I must've grabbed someone's from the table. I looked at it. It was addressed to Angelica and already opened. I shouldn't read it. It would be wrong. I told this to myself as I opened it.

My dearest, Angelica
I miss you already, despite being away for two days. I can't wait to see you at the wedding. I have without a doubt you will look as beautiful as always. You and your enchanting figure keeps me going.
Yours,
Alexander

Oh no. Wait, his comma. This is a love letter. I ran to my letters and grabbed the one he sent me today. "My dearest, Y/F/N Schuyler." I scowled. His hidden intentions! How crude!

I tucked all the letters but Angelica's away and stormed out of my room.

I strode to Angelica's room and slipped the letter under her door. When she finds it, let her fret if anyone else knows about the hidden love affair. She deserves it. I walked back downstairs and hid my angered face before going to the living area.

"Welcome back!" Elizabeth said as I took the piano again. "Why do you look down?" Angelica said as she popped up on my right. "Oh nothing. Just a bit shaken from the visit, that's all." I lied delicately. She gave me a pitiful smile that made my blood boil. Pity is the last thing I want.

She turned back to the dancing and I focused on the music, my worries washing away.