Thirty-Eight

After changing into my darkest dress, a deep maroon that was almost black, and getting my long, black coat, I opened my door. The house was near pitch black. This was an idiotic idea.

I crept outside of my room, silently shutting my door. I tiptoed down the steps, looking around. No one in sight. I slipped to the door, holding my breath. I didn't dare make a sound as I turned the knob.

I heard footsteps and shrunk back. "Who's there?" A familiar voice whispered nervously. I showed myself and Jacob lit a candle. He sighed and set down the fire poker he chose as a weapon. He strode over silently.

"What are you doing up?" We asked in unison. We laughed quietly. "I have night shift." He explained. He looked at my outfit with a peculiar frown. "Why are you up...and dressed?" He questioned. I looked away shyly.

"Definitely not sneaking out for some fun." I said with a sneaky grin. Realization crossed his dark face and he nodded. "Definitely. I also didn't see you here." He said with a wink. I nodded and he blew the candle out. I heard him walk away and I snuck out.

I was greeted by a full moon, a snow covered path, and frigid winter air. There was a strange mix of people out so late—midnight I believe. Many drunken men, a few women selling themselves, some slaves, a few homeless. Every now and then there was a decent person just taking a stroll, like myself.

I pulled my coat tighter to me and carefully went down the steps of the mansion. A slight winter breeze tossed the ends of my skirts but nothing more.

I passed a group of drunken men, still drinking. "Well *hiccup* hey there you *hiccup* pretty girl. Care to *hiccup* accompany me *hiccup* home?" One slurred evilly. I fought a laugh and just kept walking.

I did a small twirl, my skirts and coat flaying out, and laughed. Who knew breaking the rules was so enjoyable! A women that was trying to earn her nights money gave me a bemused smile.

"I remember when I was like you, girlie. Be careful." She warned, handing me a shilling. I looked down at the coin. I was about to refuse when I looked up. She was gone. I held the shilling safely.

I continued on my path. Only the bars were open at this time. I decided against it and just went for a stroll. Albany at night was so much more diverse and interesting than in the day.

I was walking past a tavern when I heard a voice I knew all too well. I peered inside.

"When I was only fifteen years, I met this wonderful girl." C/N's voice rang, a slight drunken tone. I sat against the door on the outside, listening to his story about when and how we met.

"It was a delivery from my father's tailoring business. I was in my first rich delivery. I knocked on the massive oak doors to the Schuyler Mansion. Since it was men's clothes I was delivering, I expected only men inside the house."

"The door opened and I started the greeting I had rehearsed. 'Hello, I am-' but I was cut off. A beautiful young woman was at the door. She had lovely H/C hair, E/C eyes! She giggled wonderfully, saying, 'You are?'"

I smiled to myself. It was a great memory. "I was awestruck! 'Oh, I'm C/F/N C/L/N!' I said, breaking my greeting. She giggled again! Her name was Y/F/N Schuyler!" Men roared and cheered at my family name.

"I was so astounded by her beauty, I couldn't speak! I just handed her the delivery and ran off like a fool!" I giggled. It was true! I thought I made a mistake!

"A week later, she shows up just for me! We grew up together, and now we are each other's beau! But guess what!" The men, and I, leaning closer. "I'm going to marry her!" They cheered and I smiled. I stood up and looked inside the tavern, walking in.

"C/N, is that you?" I asked innocently. Everyone silenced and faced me. C/N slammed his pint down and walked over, slinging an arm around me. "Men, meet the light of my life!
Y/F/N Schuyler!" He shouted. They all cheered again.

"Oh C/N!" I said, a blush creeping into my face.  "Come on, let's get you home." I said. He frowned. "No!" He argued. I chuckled and faced him. I had to bargain. "If I give you a kiss, will you leave?" I proposed. The men chuckled and C/N nodded. I grabbed his vest and went on the tips of my toes. I brought my lips to his and he shut his eyes. He tasted like alcohol. Bleh.

I lowered myself and the men celebrated. C/N linked arms with me and we left the bar. He staggered out, his weight nearly crushing me. "C/N!" I snapped. He balanced himself and stood. We managed a few limited steps before he tripped again. I grunted but held steady.
"C/N I swear!" I hissed.

This went on for a few blocked before we reached his place. I knocked loudly and heard a voice. The door opened and his father appeared, night clothes on and candle in hand. "Oh dear." He whispered, letting us in.

I guided C/N to a seat and he passed out instantly. I took my own seat and sighed. Mr.C/L/N walked over, tea in hand. I gave him a grateful nod and took it.

"So, care to tell me how you and my drunken son appear on my doorstep in the middle of the night?" He asked. He was old, grey hair. He was short and wrinkled. Though, he was wise. He was kind too.

I exhaled. "Well, I snuck out. I wanted to take a silent, midnight stroll. I was walking when I heard this one," I pointed to C/N, who gave a light snore. "Telling a drunken story. I removed him and practically carried him here." I complained.

Mr.C/L/N glared at his son. "He is extremely lucky to have such a wonderful beau." He whispered. I blushed a bit and sipped my tea. I owed it to C/N for hearing me out when I was drunk. Not that I was going to tell his father that!