Forty

I winced at the light, slipping inside. I looked at the floor, not daring to see who caught me. "I'm sorry I know I shouldn't have left the house so late and especially without your permission. I won't do it again I promise!"

I focused on my breathing in the awful silence. Who was it? Mother? Angelica? Elizabeth? Margarita? Footsteps approached and I felt my breath hitch. "Y/F/N Schuyler."

I looked up, my mouth twitching to a smirk. Cornelia stood there, arms crossed fitfully. "What are you doing up?" She asked in her young, squeaky voice. I laughed and walked over, picking her up.

"I heard someone outside. What about you?" I lied and countered. She looked away. "Nothing." She said, an obvious lie. "Cornelia." I said in warning. She frowned. "I got scared."

Aw! The poor girl! "You want to sleep in my bed tonight?" I asked quietly. She shyly nodded. I nodded and blew out the candle before walking upstairs. I opened my door and set her on the floor. I shut my door and ran to my candle, lighting it.

Cornelia crawled into my bed and pulled the covers up and over her entire body. I chuckled and quickly changed into my nightgown before crawling beside her.

I grabbed a book from my shelf and opened it. "Want a story?" I asked. She peeked over the covers and nodded. I looked to the page.

"My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons. He sent me to Emanuel College in Cambridge, at fourteen years old, where I resided three years, and closely applied myself to my studies; but the charge of maintaining me (although I had a very scanty allowance) being too great for a narrow fortune, I was bound to appreciate Mr.James Bates,"

I looked down to Cornelia, who was getting sleepy. Gulliver's Travels was one of her favorites. I continued to read,

"An eminent surgeon in London, with whom I continued four years; and my father now and then sending me small sums of money, I laid them out in learning navigation, and other," I looked down; Cornelia was slumbering peacefully.

I shut the book and set it down, blowing out the candle, before snuggling beside my sister and falling asleep.

* *

CRASH!!! SLAM!!!!

I jolted awake, bolting to the door. Was it Redcoats? A break in? Did mother fall? Did anyone fall? I threw my door open and looked over the railing. "Is everyone alright?!"

A dark haired head poked out from the living area. "Yes! Sorry!" John shouted back. By now, everyone was out of their rooms, alert for any danger.

"I tripped and knocked some stuff over!" John explained, walking into view. "What did you knock over? Every piece of furniture we own?" Margarita joked tiredly, rubbing her eyes. John blushed from embarrassment as he said, "Just a few vases and a bowl."

We all groaned and went back into our rooms to get dressed. I slight slammed my door, expressing just how I felt about being waken in such a crude way.

I quickly dressed when I heard a whisper. I shrieked and ran to the other side of my room, eyes glued to my bed. Something, or someone, was squirming under my sheets. I held my breath in uneasy anticipation. Then, a blonde head poke out.

"Cornelia!" I scolded with a laugh. She yawned and rubbed her eyes. "Hi Y/N." She said slowly, getting up. I walked to the door and opened it. "Go get dressed 'Nelia." I instructed gently. She hobbled out of the room and I shut the door again.

I looked inside my mirror and winced. My hair was like a barracks of a soldier! A complete mess! I snatched up my hair comb and started brushing.

I hissed and yelped as I ran the comb through my H/C hair. "Mother Mary bless me!" I snapped to myself as I hit a large knot. I attacked it with my comb but nothing happened.

I groaned and stood. I snatched up my comb and left my room. I heard giggling from behind me and shot Angelica a glare before heading into mother's room.

"Yes, Y/N?" Mother asked, not looking at me and my mess of a hair. "I need help." I said weakly. She looked at me and her eyes widened. "Oh goodness." She said under her breath.

I sat in the chair for her vanity and handed her the comb. She made a face of disgust and tossed the comb, grabbing a far fancier one.

She picked up the knot and winced. I sighed and braced myself for pain. She started at my roots, guiding the brush down my hair. She hit the knot and brushed another inch before repeating the process, much to my confusion.

After several minutes, at least thirty, the knot was out. The trick? She brushed a small bit of the knot until it was all untangled. Bloody amazing if you ask me.

I stood and faced mother. "Thank you so much! If I had to leave the house like this, I would cry!" I overdramatized. Mother chuckled and set the comb down. "Let me style it." She said, having me sit again.

She gathered a small chuck of my hair and started to plait it neatly before getting the rest of my hair. "Hold this." She instructed, handing me the braid. I held the tip, keeping it from going loose.

She spun my remaining hair into a twist before circling it above my head, making a twisty bun. She grabbed a red hair ribbon and tied it before grabbing the braid again. She got a thin red thread and tied it off. I watched as she wrapped the small braid around the base of the bun, tucking the end away.

I stood and did a spin, my skirts lifting an good two inches. I faced mother and kissed her cheek. "Thank you!" I praised. She patted my cheek lovingly before saying, "Go now, eat." I nodded and left.