Fifty-Six

I giggled as C/N had his arms wrapped around me. "Hello Mrs.C/L/N." He cooed. His voice echoed through his living area. I smiled brightly. "Good morning Mr.C/L/N." I purred back. He kissed me and I smiled into his lips.

I was about to say something when C/N disappeared, the room disappearing with him. I watched as the walls distorted to hospital walls, the homely smell replaced with the stench of the sick. I heard crying and turned around.

I was crying over C/N, who was far more bloody than was healthy. Except, I was watching myself cry. Like it was my double or something. "Don't go." Double-Me cried.

I rushed over and went to hold C/N's hand, but my limb slipped through the solid surface. What?! I can't touch?! "Don't leave me alone!" Double-Me screamed. I watched as C/N's chest stopped moving. Double-Me let out a gut wrenching, heartbroken scream.

I sat up with a shout. I was in a cold sweat. My stare darted to the window. The sun was just poking above the horizon, the sky still dark. My door burst open and I screamed, rolling off the bed. "Umph!"

"Y/N I'm so sorry!" I heard John exclaim as he ran towards me. I shrugged off the blankets and stood, checking for bruises. Once I deemed myself okay, I faced my brother.

"It's alright John, I just had a nightmare." I said. He nodded shyly and I sighed. "Sorry for waking you." I said solemnly. John held few things precious; his family, father, Elizabeth Van Rensselaer, and his sleep. He shrugged off my apology, "It's alright."

I smiled gently. "Grab the letters with me?" I asked. I looked down at my nightgown. "After I dress." I said, drawing a tired laugh from him. "Sure." He said, heading for the door. "I'll be out soon." I promised. He nodded and shut the door, leaving me alone.

I gave a small groan before going to my closet and grabbing a random dress. I put it on as quickly as possible, pausing to tie my spare knots, before grabbing the hair comb. My hair was decent this morning, so it only took a few moments before it was brushed.

I grabbed my hat and gloves before leaving my room. I strode down the stairs to John, who was waiting by the door.

"Took you long enough." He grumbled as I picked up the letters to mail. I hid my letter to Alexander under the other letters before making a face at my brother. He chuckled and we left.

We jogged down the steps quickly and John looked at the letters in my hand. He angled his head and snatched the top one. "Hey!" I shouted.

He rolled his eyes and read who it was addressed to. I looked over his shoulder, curious.

General William Howe

The British general. Mother and I received letters from him bribing us for information, and that sure as Hell below my feet is not my hand writing. John looked at me, horrified and confused. I took the letter back and examined the outside.

"Maybe mother is telling him that she is loyal to father." I said in a sad hope. He gave me a look that showed he didn't believe a word I said. No, mother was loyal!

I shook my head and put it back in the stack. "Mother wouldn't do that. Not after..." I trailed off. The event remained unsaid, but John nodded gently. I watched as he nervously bit his bottom lip, thinking of what to say.

"Just don't make any accusations yet. I'll intercept the response and read it first." I explained as we turned a corner. The post office was in sight.

John nodded before running into someone's shoulder. "Hey!" They shouted. I blinked. We both turned. "John Parke?" I asked, amused. The infamous man faced me and John. "Schuylers!" He said, shaking my brother's hand. When he faced me, his expression dimmed.

"Y/N, I'm sorry about C/N. I have written to my father about the situation." He said grimly. I just nodded. "Thank you, John. Truly." I said calmly. He nodded before someone called his name. "Well, I'll see you around." He said before rushing away.

My brother and I continued our walk and we reached the office. I strode in, going to the front of one of the three lines. Many protested.

Timothy grinned at me and turned to me. "Good morning Y/N, John." He said. "Early isn't it?" I laughed tiredly and nodded. "Very." I said, making both of them laugh. I handed him the letters lazily. "I'll be right back." He said, going to the hidden back room.

After a few minutes, Timothy came back with a decent amount of letters. John took them all and I smiled. "Thank you Timothy, see you around." I said, earning a tip of Timothy's head. I turned on my heel before leaving, John trailing.

Once we left, John asked, "Timothy?" I nodded, grabbing the letters. "His name." I said as I shuffled through the letters. Two for John, three for mother, three for me, two for Margarita, two for Angelica, and two for Elizabeth.

John nodded to himself, but I ignored it. One of my letters were from C/N.